cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving Unity subscribers from one message store to another

asimkamran
Level 1
Level 1

We have two unity clusters ver 5.0 pointing to same exchange server 2003 as message store. All the users are using this message store and most of them are on Unity cluster 1 and rest on Unity Cluster 2. Now I have installed a new exchange server 2003 and I would like to move some subscribers from existing exchange message store to the new message store.

I understand that I have to run the message store wizard to point Unity cluster 2 to the new exchange server but I would like to know the steps which I should be following and what downtime I can expect?

Thanks in advance

5 Replies 5

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well this depends on if the new Exchange is in the same organization or not. If this is just another Exchange in the same Exchange organization, then you don't have to re-partner for this to work. Add the new Exchange to the domain and to the org and run PW on Unity including this new Exchange and it's new mailstores on the choose mailstores portion. Then in AD, you can choose your users, right-click, choose Exchange options and move their mailbox over to the other Exchange. As long at you are already partnered with an Exchange in the existing org, then it will see the new Exchange you added and the users on it. Let us know on here if that is not the scenario you are going into.

Tray

Thanks for the reply.

Yes. The new message store is in the same forest/organization and domain too. It's already part of the domain. So I just need to run the Permissions Wizard and message store wizard from Unity cluster 2 for new exchange server and move the subscribers from existing exchange to new exchange server through AD admin tool.

Honestly you only need to do the Permissions Wizard again and include the new mailstores. You can keep your current partner and still see the new store and users on that store.

Tray

Hmm, so no need to run message store wizard even though Unity cluster 2 currently is pointing to existing exchange server?

What will be the impact on users which have their mailbox moved? Will Unity be able to take their voicemail in the UMR while they are being moved to new exchange server?

Thanks for your reply ray.

As long as you are going to continue to use yoru existing Exchange server partner and you have ran the Permissions Wizard to include Unity permissions on the new Exchange stores that you plan to move subscrivers to, the Unity will be able to see them since the new Exchnage is in the same routing groups, admin group, and domain. I would do the move at night if they have a large mailbox (IE Unified Messaging), otherwise, their mailbox should be very small (IE vmail only) and should be moved very fast making UMR a non issue. Either way, I would move their mailboxes at night and not during production hours just in case htere are any problems.

Tray

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: