Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Moving Unity to different AD Domain

I have a unity 4.05 failover pair that is integrated into its own separate AD domain. The company has recently migrated from groupwise to exchange and would like to implement integrated messaging in the near future so I'm going to have to somehow move the Unity installation from its isolated domain into the production AD domain. I'm not sure of the best way to do this to minimize downtime.

My guess is that I'll have to do the following.

Perform a DIRt backup

Break the failover pair and uninstall Unity from the Primary Unity server

uninstall system manager 2000 and install system manager 2003 (the production domain uses exchange 2003)

Change the domain membership this server and reinstall unity (extend schema, create service accounts etc...)

patch Unity and DIRT to the same levels

shut down the Unity on the remaining server

Do the DIRT restore on the newly rebuilt server (the user aliases are the same in both domains)

At this point Unity should be functioning with the one rebuilt server in the production domain. I would then like to leave the other Unity server as is for few days in case there are major problems and I need to roll back to the old system. I would then rebuild the secondary server and recreate the failover relationship.

Are there any obvious errors in my plan or other issues I might not be accounting for?

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Moving Unity to different AD Domain

"patch Unity and DiRT to the same levels" should be installing the same version of Unity that you backed up and then restoring using the latest DiRT version.

You have "shut down the Unity on the remaining server" there before doing the restore - is that intentional? The next paragraph indicates you mean to leave it up... You can do the restore on the new server before taking the old failover box off line - seems like you'd want to do this and ensure it's up and flying right before taking the old one all the way off line. Since they're in seperate forests (I'm assuming) there's no conflicts here.

Re: Moving Unity to different AD Domain

I assumed I would need to stop the Unity services on the old server before bringing the new server online.

My thought was that having server 1 (which used to be the failover primary but is now a single server in the new domain) and server 2 (which is still configured as a secondary in the old domain) running at the same time might cause problems; especially since I plan on using the same netbios name and ip address for the server when I rebuild it.

Thanks for the response though, I've been trying to get an answer from the PDI helpdesk but they just keep sending me links to the Unity documentation.

Views
Helpful
Replies