cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MSDE SP4 upgrade won't complete

Michael Huffman
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to upgrade my Unity 4.0.5 to 4.2.1 and CUSPA it tells me I need SP4 installed. I run it and it gets nearly to the end of the install and backs all the way out again without ever installing. Rebooted and tried again and the same thing happens. The server is UM in AD 2003 and in an ou with no group policies applied.

Not being an SQL guru, I guess I'm now relying on someone who is.

This has worked fine on the 2 previous upgrades I did.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

Here is an MS link I referenced prior to doing my MSDE 2000 SP4 - http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/B/D/1BDF5B78-584E-4DE0-B36F-C44E06B0D2A3/ReadmeSql2k32sp4.htm#_introduction

I did not have any problems applying MSDE 2000 SP4 using the Unity 4.2 service pack CD. Some of the document applies only to SQL 2000, but several areas I would check:

1. Disk space - the service pack is also upgrading the Microsoft database files, not just the Unity ones. Refer to the section Verify That the System Databases Have Enough Free Space.

2. Is your Unity server running Windows 2003 or 2003 SP1? You may want to look at the Microsoft Data Access Components section to confirm your version.

3. See the section Installation Issues on Supported Systems. A Database Components SP4 installation will fail if either of the following security policies has been set to Do not allow installation.

- The Devices: Unsigned driver installation behavior local security policy for Windows XP

- The Unsigned non-driver installation behavior local security policy for Windows 2000

Please use my post only as a guideline. If it were me, I'd work thru this with TAC, especially since it's a production server.

Sincerely, Ginger

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

Here is an MS link I referenced prior to doing my MSDE 2000 SP4 - http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/B/D/1BDF5B78-584E-4DE0-B36F-C44E06B0D2A3/ReadmeSql2k32sp4.htm#_introduction

I did not have any problems applying MSDE 2000 SP4 using the Unity 4.2 service pack CD. Some of the document applies only to SQL 2000, but several areas I would check:

1. Disk space - the service pack is also upgrading the Microsoft database files, not just the Unity ones. Refer to the section Verify That the System Databases Have Enough Free Space.

2. Is your Unity server running Windows 2003 or 2003 SP1? You may want to look at the Microsoft Data Access Components section to confirm your version.

3. See the section Installation Issues on Supported Systems. A Database Components SP4 installation will fail if either of the following security policies has been set to Do not allow installation.

- The Devices: Unsigned driver installation behavior local security policy for Windows XP

- The Unsigned non-driver installation behavior local security policy for Windows 2000

Please use my post only as a guideline. If it were me, I'd work thru this with TAC, especially since it's a production server.

Sincerely, Ginger

Ginger,

Yes, I read that same document and the diskspace and local policy are fine. I've ran this same upgrade on 3 other servers without a problem, so I'm fairly certain I'm running into some isolated problem with this server or the instance of MSDE installed. If I were certain that simply backing up the databases and reinstalling MSDE fresh as SP4 and restore it would solve it, I'd do it, but it is in production and I'm not an SQL guy.

I think I will take your advice and open a TAC case.

Thanks again,

Mike

TAC pointed me to the following document:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315083

DISABLEROLLBACK=1 added to the setup command line fixed the issue

Hi Mike -

Thank you for including the link to the MS article :-) I am doing my 4.2 upgrade this coming weekend and I printed it off, just in case. I like to be as prepared as possible!

Sincerely,

Ginger

Be carefull here. I too ran into a problem running the SP4 upgrade. My problem was with the performance monitor, and SQL's perf mon tools not registering properly...

According to this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q317328 you should search the log for "return value 3".

When this was done, the first instance of this is:

Starting custom action InstallPerfMon

Registering performance counters from sqlctr.ini

PerfmonLoad routine returned error code 1010

A Google on: "PerfmonLoad routine returned error code 1010" turned up: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315083, this article has some resolution steps that will hopefully help.

DisableRollBack enabled me to move forward, but, this was a lab system, and I really didn't care that the perfmon wasn't working correctly.

Take a look at the SQL upgrade log to verify why you are seeing a error in the upgrade before you just tell the setup program to ignore them.

Having just spent over four hours on the line with TAC dealing with this "problem", here's the complete instruction:

Open a command window on the Unity Server.

Change directory to the location of the MSDE_SP4 folder.

Enter:

setup /upgradesp sqlrun blanksapwd=1 /qb DISABLEROLLBACK=1 (There is a space between the /QB and the disable switch.)

Lee