cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Unity Servers

balukr
Level 2
Level 2

Customer has almost 15000 mailboxes they want to migrate to Unity.I have some design questions on this.We can get 15000 mailboxes with 2 or 3 Unity servers with Digital Working. I know For Digital networking all these servers should be in same AD Forest, same Exchg admin group.

Customer also wants redundancy in Exchange and Unity, we can do this with Exchange clustering and Unity failover correct??.

I have more questions on this

1. Can we have just one exchange server (exchange cluster) with one AD domain.

2. Can we install 2 or 3 Unity servers to one exchange server.In other words can we have same partner exchange server for all the unity servers in the network.

Since they want redundancy in exchange and Unity there may be too many servers and I'm just trying to reduce total number of servers they need to maintain.

3. since it is the same AD can we use the same user accounts to install/admin/service for all the Unity servers.

I want the pro's opinion and best practice to give a better solution to the customer.

Thanks in advance for everyone.

Balu

24 Replies 24

I have to jump in on this now as I have been reading, if I understand correctly what you are saying and you might suggest to the customer UMR (not connecting to the partner server) I strongly do not suggest this.

Unity does need a message store. Many features will not work without it.

rlp

Thanks Tom and Ran..

Yes I'm aware of that UMR limitations.I just want to give this is an option in case they don't want to add a exchange server at remote site.

I think it all depends how much redundancy they want for VM and main thing cost involved for this full project.

Thanks again.

Yeah, he was looking at *not* putting a local Exchange server for Unity, but have it connected back to the cluster at the datacenter or HQ. The link is a GIG fiber PTP.... so it should be fine, even though best practice says Unity/Exchange LAN.. it's basically the same have a GIG fiber between the sites.

Gig fiber is fine as long as there is an Exchange message store as the partner server. But I thought that there was discussion about not connecting with the partner and thus staying in UMR mode. Maybe it was just me reading into it though.

rlp

I gues what I mean then is it is not a supported configuration and if there are any issues you will not get help from TAC.

It is not worth the cost savings.

rlp

You can have the message store and the Unity server split if it is approved of prior by Cisco and the Account Team that reviews it. Typically TAC would not support this config, but since it is a gig line, what difference does it make if there is GIG at the LAN or GIG through the WAN? None in theory. We did Unity with Notes and split it, but before splitting the Notes and Unity server, we had Cisco sign off on the design before hand. It was a large customer and they had no problem with it after final review.

I totally agree with you :-)

I just wanted to be sure that there is a partner server with a connection.

TAC won't agree to a exchangeless/dominoless message store.

rlp

Do you have any references to technical documentation discussing message store limits on the exchange side of things. Cisco's docs dont really address the exchange side of things. In this specific discussion you are trying to handle 15K subscribers. Unity can handle 7500 on the front end but realistically is (1) Exchange cluster of (2) servers enough? Why not 3? Thanks.

Hi Bala,

Have you finished this design and approved from the Customer.By the way have you been working in Kenya anytime.

Mothi.

No they are still working with their server team, politics, etc..

Sorry I never worked in Kenya and I always worked in US.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: