Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

need to upgrade for unlicensed demo Unity 3.1.6 to Licensed Unity 4.1

New to Unity, so I apologize if this seems naive.

Problem Details: I have been running a demo of Unity 3.1(6) in a test lab for a

little while, and have feel that it is now stable, and have convinced the

powers that be that it is worth our time and money to roll it out. We purchased

a fully licensed copy of Unity 4.1, and want to upgrade.

Because we are upgrading from a demo version, the option buy an upgrade license

was not possible. So we purchased a full license. However, I need to upgrade

from 3.1(6) to 4.1 as seemlessly as possible. Is it possible to download the

update and install that, or should I run the full version install? If I should

run the full version install, should I run it on top of the old version, or

uninstall the old version (which seems like the worst option)

We are running Exchange 2003, but not on the same machine. It would be ideal if we could jsut instal 4.1 on top of it as if it was an upgrade.

8 REPLIES

Re: need to upgrade for unlicensed demo Unity 3.1.6 to Licensed

Hi -

The first issue I see is that Unity is currently installed in a test lab environment, which means it is currently linked to AD/Exchange in your lab AD, not your production AD. If you want to use the same server, you will need to uninstall Unity from the lab AD and get it installed into your production AD. Please correct me here if I am misunderstanding. Unity will not work just moving it to production AD ... I am speaking from experience here. I had Unity 3.1(5) running in a lab test and had to uninstall from the lab before connecting the server to our production AD back in 2001. I started fresh, formatted the drives, loaded the OS and installed Unity.

Ginger

It is linked to our production AD. I misrepresented it by saying test lab. Yes it's a test setup , but we currently are not using it for our businesses' voice or messaging. We use a more traditional phone system right now. I installed Unity on another server in our domain and linke dit to AD and Exchange for testing.

Hi Michael -

I have attached the following links - upgrade information from Unity 3.X to 4.X - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_upgrade_guides_chapter09186a0080205a78.html and the 4.1 supported hardware/software guide - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_system_requirements_hardware09186a0080531f2a.html

I believe you can upgrade from 3.1(6) to 4.1 with all of the associated caveats - meaning you have a supported server and OS (Windows 2000 for the voice card driver support). I performed an upgrade from 3.1(5) to 4.0(3), following Cisco's instructions to the letter. We have a CallManager integration so I didn't have to worry about voice cards :-) The move from the demo USB key to 4.1 license file should be fine. If you are doing NIC teaming (not load balancing), you will want to make sure you set the team to the MAC that matches your new 4.1 license. Whether you upgrade or install fresh may be up to the way to want to roll out Unity. This is the time to design your Unity implementation, i.e. will you want unified messaging vs. voice-only, or initially have a voice-only implementation, but want to migrate to UM? How many Exchange servers do you have today, will have in the future? Does your AD/Exchange organization have multiple Exchange administrative groups? Will you have multiple Unity servers that you would want to digitally network together or to communicate with other voice servers in your existing telephony network (i.e. Bridge, AMIS, VPIM networking). Sorry for posing so many questions ... but you are in an excellent position to plan out your design before putting Unity into production. This may be a moot point if you are only planning on one Unity server. 4.X will require additional schema updates to your AD forest. If you are planning on multiple Unity servers and have multiple domains, you might consider moving your Unity accounts (install, directory service, and message store service) to your forest root domain. If this is something you want to consider, there is a 3.x/4.x Uninstall utility available on www.ciscounitytools.com that will uninstall Unity from AD/Exchange and remove all Unity related information. I would advise using this utility if you make the decision to install 4.1 fresh instead of performing an upgrade. If it were me, I would also engage my Cisco SE in working together to establish a plan and have him or her validate it with Cisco. Having this type of relationship will go far as you continue to work with Unity. It's the best application I've ever worked with :-)

Ginger

Thank you for your insight, Ginger:

I have been using call manager express, which runs on a 2621xm Router, so I don't have a voice card. I am also not doing NIC teaming. We are running one Exchange 2003 Server, which is installed on our only Domain Controller, and I don't foresee us outgrowing this setup, with one Unity server, in the next five years.

I will review the links you sent, and if I have additional questions I will post them here.

I am think that it may be less trouble to just remove Unity and reinstall it, but I have a few questions:

1) We are running Exchange 2003. Will this be an issue?

2) If I use the Unity 3.x uninstall tool you referred me to, if Unity is all that is running on this server, is it advantageous to upgrade it from server 2000 to Server 2003?

Cisco Employee

1) Exch 2003 has to be off-box w Unity 4.0(3) minimum, and only used when you have Unified messaging. (see Table 2 of http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_system_requirements_hardware09186a0080531f2a.html#wp46399)

2) In Voice-messaging only, unity must be on Windows 2000 (it can be member of win 2003 domain). In Unified Messaging, Cisco Unity server is a member server in an existing Windows Server 2003 domain connected to Exchange 2003 server.

Can I install Unity using unified messaging on a Windows 2003 member server in a Windows 2000 domain? Exchange 2003 is running on a seperate Windows 2000 Domain Controller.

Cisco Employee

I think it is ok.

"The Cisco Unity server is a member server in an existing Windows Server 2003 domain. If the Cisco Unity server is running Windows Server 2003, the message store server that Cisco Unity connects with (the partner Exchange server) must be running Exchange 2003. "

look at this docDifferences in Support and Functionality When Windows Server 2003 Is Installed on a Cisco Unity 4.0(4) Server

for the list of restrictions.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_white_paper09186a008022e52c.shtml#wp35542

Views
Helpful
Replies