cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Networking Unity Express

bdunsing2
Level 1
Level 1

I've spent the better part of a day trying to find documentation that would help me network 2 CUE's. One is in NY, one is in Cincinnati. All I need to do is allow end user's to forward a received voice mail at one site, to a user at the other. Seems like this should be pretty easy. I've found docs that network CUE with Unity and references Exchange and DNS. None of that is valid in our environment. Any advice would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Bill,

Here are some brief steps:

a. Define a local location ID (Define a location number, Location name and abbreviation ID.Specify the Domain name/IP address to be ip address of local CUE module Phone prefix and VPIM Broadcast ID are not required for CUE to CUE networking.

b. Voicemail encoding may be set to dynamic. If a CUE detects that the destination is another CUE It uses g711. If its Unity, it uses g726.

c. Make sure Networking is Enabled for this location by checking the "Enabled" checkbox.

d. Add a remote location ID (Define a location number, Location name and abbreviation ID.Specify the Domain name/IP address to be ip address of remote CUE module Phone prefix and VPIM Broadcast ID are not required for CUE to CUE networking.

e. Add a remote user who falls in the remote location.

f. To send a message to a remote user, you need to enter the remote location ID followed by the extension of the remote user. (Blind addressing)

g. If the location ID is 200 and the user is at extension 1000, then you need to enter 2001000

h. Abbreviation defined for a location is used when playing back a message (as part of the envelope). It cannot be used to address messages.

i. Broadcast message can be send between locations. The MWI for broadcast message depends on the settings at the remote location CME.

j. When Spoken Name Caching is enabled, the system will cache the spoken name of the remote user when it receives a message from the remote user and will use it for future directory searches.

k. You can record spoken names for remote locations.

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thank you for responding so quickly. Looks like I already had it set up correctly, I just didn't know the "secret handshake". Now that I've added the location ID to the extension number, forwarding works. A few more related questions if you don't mind:

Item e: Right now, I have no Remote Users added, yet I'm able to forward messages to whomever I like. When I did try to add Remote Users earlier, I was told the user already existed (maybe because I have a mailbox on both systems?). Also, I'm told there is a limit of 50 Remote Users that can be added to that list. So - are Remote User entries required? And what do you do about the remaining users over 50?

Item f: I understand how to dial the extension (after hitting ##). Is it possible to search the directory (the systems asks you to "enter the name of the person you wish to forward this message to")? When I enter a name of a user at the other location, the system tells me no such user could be found. Is there a secret handshake for this one too? Is it possible to have this functionality with just two CUE's and one CM?

Finally - is there any cisco documentation you can point me towards that addresses this configuration specifically?

Thank you, again, for your help.

Regards -

Bill

Actually i did all that conf. except adding remote users(optional) but failed to make it work.

Does i need to install cisco unity connection.?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: