Views
Helpful
Replies

No audio

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Unity 4.0(5) Unified Messaging

I have run into messages several times that do not contain audio. The player bar in Outlook indicates that the message is 30 - 40 seconds long, but when you play it, you get silence. When you open the WAV attachment, Windows Media Player also indicates that the message is 30 - 40 seconds long. This has happened several times to different users. Any ideas?

Brandon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

These kinds of intermittent failures can be very tricky to track down. Ideally you'd get a sniffer trace from the Unity server right at the time the blank message is being generated. However, I know this is nearly impossible because typically any sniffer buffer is long overwritten by the time the message recipient reports the issue.

Try to find a commonality between these messages. For example, were these messages generated by external callers? Is there caller ID info that could indicate a particular route or gateway these calls came in on?

Having a report from one of the callers on what they experienced when the message was recorded would also be helpful. Did they actually leave a message or did they drop the call before recording? If they left a message did they end it by haning up or by pressing '#'?

One example I’ve seen of this symptom was a case where callers across a gateway would hang up before the recording. CCM would send a reorder tone packet to Unity but would not initiate teardown of the call until 30 seconds later. See CSCsb42730 for details. Once we knew what to look for it was fairly easy to reproduce. If you find your topology exhibits this behavior also, then there is a 8.0(1b)ES version of the TSP that you should get from TAC.

-Eric

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are integrated with CCM, my first guess would be the ip-routing.

We are integrated with CCM, but why only random messages? I've seen this maybe 5 times over the past year.

These kinds of intermittent failures can be very tricky to track down. Ideally you'd get a sniffer trace from the Unity server right at the time the blank message is being generated. However, I know this is nearly impossible because typically any sniffer buffer is long overwritten by the time the message recipient reports the issue.

Try to find a commonality between these messages. For example, were these messages generated by external callers? Is there caller ID info that could indicate a particular route or gateway these calls came in on?

Having a report from one of the callers on what they experienced when the message was recorded would also be helpful. Did they actually leave a message or did they drop the call before recording? If they left a message did they end it by haning up or by pressing '#'?

One example I’ve seen of this symptom was a case where callers across a gateway would hang up before the recording. CCM would send a reorder tone packet to Unity but would not initiate teardown of the call until 30 seconds later. See CSCsb42730 for details. Once we knew what to look for it was fairly easy to reproduce. If you find your topology exhibits this behavior also, then there is a 8.0(1b)ES version of the TSP that you should get from TAC.

-Eric