cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nortel, PBXLink and MWI

jaywydra
Level 1
Level 1

I can't get the PBXLink to forward MWI to the digital phones on the Nortel side of my integration. I have an option 11. I'm using a PBX Link with port A for MWI only. I use Unity 4.0(2). I see the MWI message being sent int integration monitor. It shows up with 7 nines for the extension instead of the actual extension of the phone that needs MWI. Has anyone seen this and know how to fix? PBXLink shows failed MWI with reason of "unable to set MCK and MIK"

Thanks,

Jason

10 Replies 10

eschulz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So Integration Monitor shows outbound packets something like...

OP:MWI 9999999!

Correct?

Does this happen for all subscribers?

Is it possible that the subscriber's extension is longer than seven digits? Check first the MWI Extensions on the Subscriber's Messages page in the SA. Typically, there is only an X here indicating that the primary extension is to be used. The primary extension is found in the Extesnion field on the Subscriber's Profile page.

What values do you have set for Station Field Length and Default Extension Length for the Nortel integration in Unity's UTIM?

-Eric

That is exactly what I'm getting. All subscribers are having the problem and they have 4 digit extensions. I looked at the MWI extensions and they all have an X with the actual extension plugged into the extension field of the profile page. For Station Field Length and Default Extension Length I have 7 and 4 respectively.

Thanks,

Jason

Sorry, I have not seen this behavior before. If Unity is sending out a bogus SMDI packet for MWI requests then there's something odd happening within Unity. You should ignore the PBXLink until Unity starts sending the right extensions. TAC can help you gather Unity diags and determine why it tries setting MWI for ext 9999999 for every subscriber.

Thanks for your help. I opened a Cisco case and will post the solution when done.

I now have the correct extension showing up in the MWI messages. I'm getting "SMDI dupe found" errors in the PBXLink debug. It says it cannot set the MIK/MCK key. My PBX tech has verified the Nortel Merdian config. I attached the debug. 4000 series extensions are the Nortel phones.

I _think_ the "SMDI dupe found" simply indicates that the PBXLink received an MWI request for an extension that already had a pending request. Once we fix the MIK/MCK problem this should go away. You might also check the switch INI file in Unity. In the [MWI Default] section you should find RetryCount=. Is this set to something other than 0?

Now, for the MIK/MCK issue. That error typically means the PBXLink is trying to press the virtual buttons on its digital set and it is not getting the response back that is expected. Make sure your PBX tech explicitly verifies that KEY 13 and KEY 14 are programmed for MIK and MCK, respectively. This must be done on the digital line connected to Port 1 of the first PBXLink, i.e. the digital line that you should have set for MWI.

By the way, what was done to fix the 9999999 problem?

Cheers,

Eric

Thanks. It appears that the PBX was expecting MWI notification on the wrong port. I figured this out by swapping the two digital ports. We fixed that issue. Now when I leave a message MWI lights with no problem. The problem now is that when you listen to and delete your messages the light doesn't go out. I don't even see Unity attempt to distinguish it. I verified in exchange that the mailbox is empty. So now I have a whole new problem. THIS IS FUN!!!!

By the way....the 9999999 was fixed by removing the MWI extensions that were set in UTIM. Leaving them blank is the key. You probably new this. If you put actual extensions in there it will send all nines instead. Simply removing those extensions, leaving the fields blank and restarting Unity solved the problem.

Any idea how to get the lights to turn off???

Thanks,

Ah yes, that would do it.

Interesting about the 9999999. I suspect then that the lamp code plus the exension was more than 7 digits, which would be similar to the behavior I was expecting when I asked about extension lengths. I hadn't considered lamp codes though. :( The switch files that use serial MWI should all have CodesChangeable=NO. This should disable the MWI extension fields in UTIM.

Here's a general MWI troubleshooting guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_troubleshooting_guide_chapter09186a00801d6d06.html

Off-hand, I don't have any other tips. Does the subscriber page in the SA show MWI status as off? What happens when you hit Refresh from the Subscriber's Messages page?

Thanks, I will take a look at the doc. The subscriber page still shows that the user's light is on. When I resync it doesn't turn it off. It sends another turn on message.

It works now. Appearantly the inital reboot of Unity wasn't good enough. After I rebooted a second time the MWIs synched up. Thanks for your help!!

Jason