Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Outlook Web Access OWA in a G.729 environment

I'm looking to build a Unity Unified Messaging environment with an Exchange 2003 message store. We're planning on the prompts and message storage format to be G.729. Two questions related to access to messages using the OWA client:

1) It appears I have to save the voicemail attachments to my harddrive before I can listen to them. Does anyone know a way to start playing these messages as they are downloading?

2) Is there a (no cost) G.729 codec available for the OWA PC used to listen to the G.729 format messages?

Thanks.

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: Outlook Web Access OWA in a G.729 environment

Couple things here.

1. Using Outlook with the VMO plug in does this - playing "chunks" on the fly before the file is downloaded takes some work and without a specific app designed to do this you'll be stuck downloading the file first. Since you're just launching any old WAV file player on the client box going through OWA like this, there'll be no "streaming play" option available.

2. The G.729a codec is not public and is not free. There is no free version of it available anywhere so far as I know. It's a proprietary codec we pay a license for. The license fee is bundled into the UM seats cost and, of course, the codec is built into the VMO plug in noted above. If you've paid for UM seats and are properly licensed for it (which presumably you've done since getting access to your voice mails from any desktop app is illegal unless this has been done) but need to use OWA instead of Outlook with the VMO plug in you can install the 729a codec legally on client boxes for users who are UM off your Unity server.

Assuming it's all on the up and up, you can find the 729a codec installer on your Unity install off \commserver\utilities\sl_g729a_setup.exe. Again, though, we pay a fee for each seat of UM we sell to cover the license on that codec so it is not to be used for clients that are not licensed for UM.

Views
Helpful
Replies