cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

personal communication assistant record greyed out

jmessina
Level 1
Level 1

I have a situation where unity is behind a firewall so when clients connect to PCA the record button on the media master control is greyed out.

i found this doc that states

"Note that the Media Master is not available across a firewall."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00800ea81d.html

how can I make it available?

were trying to see what ports are used but I thought perhaps someone could clarify if we dont find anything

edit- i found another post that suggests media master uses dcom. This would be be very bad :-(

Can this be confirmed?

6 Replies 6

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

Is the firewall NATing?

no there is not nat. we definately do not want open up all those ports.

Any way to maintain security and allow this to work?

I have found some theories but appreciate any suggestions.

Hi -

I was wondering if there had been any resolution to this problem? My boss just moved from one domain to another in the same forest. To keep her Unity enabled, we left her email account in our domain. Her AD account was moved to the new domain. Her new workstation is in the new domain. This is all working just fine with the exception of Unity Assistant. Her play and record buttons are greyed out on the Media Master control bar in Unity Assistant. Media Master is working just fine from her Outlook, so she is able to record and play voicemail messages. We have confirmed DCOM is enabled and all of the required IE settings configured, such as ActiveX controls, cookies, ActiveX and Java scripts - all enabled. I am checking to see if a firewall exists between her workstation now and our Unity server. The unityurl shows the DNS name, not IP address. Using NSLOOKUP, we were able to demonstrate that the Unity server could not locate her workstation. We added a reverse lookup in DNS, which then Unity was able to find. But that did not correct the Media Master control problem. P.S. We are the only domain that has a Unity server. At some point this will change and the domain she is now in will get its own Unity server, which will then be digitally networked to us. But it would be nice to get this working in the interim. Thanks much!

Ginger

The MediaMaster does use DCOM. DCOM has issues with firewalls. Take a look at this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/com/wpaper/dcomfw.asp

We'll be moving away from DCOM... it's on our roadmap.

Hi Harsha -

Thanks for the update :-)

Sincerely,

Ginger