I have a cluster of publisher and subscriber in my network and i have some remote side as well which register with my CUCM over WAN . I integrated a co-operate directory server with CUCM for phone URL services in my netwok , basically its a third party software on windows machine. Now I am facing issue to access this URL services through phone when i am giving hotname of that perticular co-opertae directory server in CUCM--->IP PHONE SEVICES then only my phones which are in the same VLAN with CUCM they are only able to access this directory but rest all loction can't access this directory so in this case i can expect all my locations might be unable to resolve the DNS but when i am giving IP ADDRESS in place of host name in CUCM then my phones which are in same VLAN they even cant access this directory and I am prompted a http 404 error. So this is very unpridictable for me so need expert suggestion so I can resolve my issue.I am runing with CUCM version 7.0.3
It's possible that your web server requires a hostname (i.e is configured to use the host header to send the request to the correct site). A 404 means 'page not found', which means the server responded (i.e is accessible) but could not satisfy the request.
I would leave the configuration with hostname for now, and then:
1) Check that the phones have DNS servers assigned, that they can reach the DNS server (ping the phones from the DNS server, or do a ping from something else in the phone subnet/VLAN)
2) Check that the phones can reach the web directory server - try to ping a phone from the web server for example, or again try to ping from something else in the phone subnet/VLAN). If you can't ping the phones then there may be a routing issue (e.g. the web server has an incorrect default gateway) or something blocking traffic (firewalls, ACLs etc).
Thanks for looking into this issue.
Just to add on a few points in order to clarify the issue.
1. We have a third party directory URL customized for our company which is accesible using hostname as well as ip address.
2. There are no DNS servers in the picture and I think thats the reason phones on the remote location are not able to access the url.
3. Here is what the phones on the local location residing on the same VLAN as the call manager are facing as per the captures taken once with URL using hostname and the other using ip address.
>> hostname url :
Here is what we captured:
10.118.42.10 is call manager
10.118.42.50 is phone ip address
After pressing the services button here is the response from the call manager.
111 4.511431 10.118.42.10 10.118.42.50 HTTP/XML HTTP/1.1 200 OK
127 4.941575 10.118.42.50 10.118.41.14 HTTP GET /CiscoIPServices/ASP/mobilephonedirectory/multidirectoryold.asp HTTP/1.1
128 4.944623 10.118.41.14 10.118.42.50 HTTP/XML HTTP/1.1 200 OK
request gone correctly to the directory server 10.118.41.14 and the phones receives the 200 OK.
In case of URL having the ip address. :
The above is the response from the call manager after the phone presses the services button.
205 11.209792 10.118.42.10 10.118.42.50 HTTP/XML HTTP/1.1 200 OK
226 12.121508 10.118.42.50 10.118.42.10 HTTP GET http://10.118.41.14/CiscoIPServices/ASP/mobilephonedirectory/multidirectoryold.asp HTTP/1.1
229 12.123339 10.118.42.10 10.118.42.50 HTTP HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found (text/html)
Surprisingly instead of sending the GET message to directory 10.118.41.14 the phone is sending a request to call manager due to which we get a 404 not found.
What I am not able to understand here is just changing the hostname to IP how is the request going to the wrong destination.
As per your suggestions I placed a PC in the same VLAN as the phones and verify the connectivity from web server to phone and from phone to web server using ip address and hostname and both look perfectly fine.
I am not sure but here are a few things I was planning to try do suggest me if I am on the right path.
1. Specify the external directory URL on the device page and reseting the phone. Check its SEPmac.cnf.xml file and make sure it updates the external url correctly. Then try once again but not sure if this will make a difference.
2. Also make a clone of this service as ip phone service and altering the phone button template for line 2 as service url for directory.
I am still not sure what can cause the problem here. Please Suggest the next course of action.
If anyone have any solution for my issue please suggest me ASAP , I am losing customer faith.
Please revert on my issue if anyone have the solution, as still I am not able to fix my issue.
Hi All ,
I found the solution for my issue.
I have observed that proxy server is configured in enterprises parameter(CUCM) , if configured that are used to proxy HTTP requests for access to non-local host addresses from the phone HTTP client.
If the phone receives a URL which is not configured in the same domain, the phone uses the proxy server to access the URL (Phone service URL).
The phone will try directly connect to URL if proxy is not configured.
Now we are able to access both URL( with hostname & IP address ) after removing the proxy address and Leave this field blank from enterprises parameter