cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phones Get Ringing When Hitting Messages Button

stphillips
Level 1
Level 1

Multiple voice mail ports configured in Callmanager. First user hits "Message" button and immediately gets voice mail prompt. While that user is checking messages, next person who hits "Message" button gets a ringing tone and then the voice mail system prompts for password. Assume first first voice mail number is 8000, and the next is 8001. 8000 shows up on the first users screen when message button is hit. 8000 shows up on the second users phone screen and then switches to 8001 after 4 ringing tones. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening ? Thanks for your replies.

4 Replies 4

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

What version CCM? Unity? Unity TSP?

Did this used to work fine, or new setup/changes made?

Check the unity server, under status monitor then port monitor and see if there are any ports stuck or hung, or not processing calls at all. The timer on the call may be excessively long. Usually first few ports i've seen this with where message button rings on phone - outside callers don't easily notice a problem since they are hearing ringing already, but the messages button doesn't normally get ringing so stands out to user.

I've had a few clients recently who updated to 8.01 TSP have ports on unity side stop responding and unity needing to stopped/started or server rebooted to get the ports back to active state. Sometimes clicking on hung port in status monitor and reset did it, but sometimes it just hung and did nothing.

New install. I just find it odd that internal callers to voice mail, after the first voice mail call, get the dialing tone and then it switches over to the next available port. Thanks

eschulz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

From your description it sound like DN 8000 (Unity port 1) is configured for call waiting. When port 1 is busy calls to 8000 should immdiately forward to the next available port.

-Eric

I will take a look at that configuration. Thanks a lot for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: