cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

port lockup and alert

ciscoforum
Level 1
Level 1

If a port lockup and a call hit it, what is the event ID? I want to EMS to send alert for this.Thanks

6 Replies 6

eschulz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately detecting a locked port is typically not that easy.

If a port is not responding to incoming calls (RNA) then it is unlikely Unity will be able to generate an event message in response to the incoming call. There may be other tell-tale event messages in such circumstances but they'd vary greatly depending on the root cause of the unresponsiveness. If the port is locked in an offhook state then the phone system wouldn't even offer a new call to it.

In either case, you might look for ports that Unity believes have been busy on a single call for an extended period of time. I believe this shows up in event ID 584 (or 553 for very old version of Unity),

http://www.ciscounitysupport.com/find.php?EvtID=584

-Eric

Hello,

We are currently experiencing this issue on our Unity 4.0(5) box. I have setup EMS to notify me of the 584 event which is good for making me aware of a port lockup but how do I determine the cause/resolution?? This has occurred since we brought this instance up in September. Sometimes we will go a week without the issue, sometimes it will happen multiple times in a week. I have also noticed that there are times the port will have actually cleared itself by the time I look at it and there are also cases when 2 ports have locked (never more then 2).

We have two Unity 4.0(4)SR1 instances that to my knowledge have yet to encounter this issue.

Any suggestions on researching or resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there a way to have a port auto-reset should the problem occur?

Regards,

Jason

Your best bet will probably be to have a TAC case opened. To find the root cause of a locked port it is very helpful to have diagnostics that cover the last successful call to that port. Seeing the transition from working to non-working in the diag file can usually tell us what is happening.

I don't believe there is a way to have ports auto-reset. Again, the major problem here is that there is no good way for Unity to self-diagnose and identify a locked port. The good news is that if your ports are locked in such a way that they sometimes clear themselves then most likely they can also be cleared by manually resetting the port either in the Unity Status Monitor or in CCM. This indicates a very different scenario than port locks which can only be cleared by restarting Unity.

Here are a few things I’d look for…

- verify whether the locked ports can be reset through Unity Status Monitor

- use Port Status Monitor (tools depot) to identify what Unity ‘thinks’ is happening on a locked port (it could be Unity never receives a disconnect from CCM and you’ve got a conversation or set of Call Handlers that runs through a continuous loop. In such a case you either need to find out why a hang up event is never received from CCM or you need to structure you Call Handlers so they always eventually lead to GoodBye and hangup.

- collect Skinny and Call Control (macro) diags from Unity along with detailed CCM traces that span a port transitioning from working to locked. Work with TAC to identify what went wrong.

Thank you very much for the response.

The port(s) are always able to be reset via Unity Status Monitor if they haven't cleared themself. Based on your feedback that's at least a "better" situation.

Thanks for the tips on troubleshooting/determining the problem. I'll open up a TAC case if I'm unsuccessful in resolving the issue.

Regards,

Jason

What version of Unity TSP is loaded? You may want to try loading current Unity TSP version.

Hello, I have updated all 3 of our Unity instances to TSP version 8.0(2). I thought that this was the latest version.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: