cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Usage Analyzer problem

arnieg
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to use the port analyzer for the first time and it is only giving me one date to choose from. I looked into the "log" folder and there is only one file "data_AvCsMgr_20060906_173333.txt" with "AvCsMgr". The file is over 182MB in size which makes it impossible to open. It appears that it started the file on Sept 6th and kept appending the same file instead of creating new files. I only have the option to look at the one day. Is there a way to tweak the number of days that the logs are kept before being overwritten? I have attached a screen shot of the log folder and the port analyzer.The screenshot is in a word doc. Port Usage Analyzer 1.0 build 61 and I am running Unity 4.0(4).

5 Replies 5

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

???

Wow, that's pretty weird - normally the log file is broken up at least once a day, usually more than that. I've never seen a situation where only a single log is created of a span of multiple days (or many days) like this.

The Port Usage Analyzer is built assuming no more than 24 hous of data in one log file - it's certainly not going to deal with one log file that has months worth of data in it.

I don't see anything in CDETs about a single log file being used like that - I'd save that log file off somewhere and open Tools Depot, open the Unity Diagnostic Tool and force the logs to cycle through there to see if you can at least clear that issue.

I would try upgrading to the latest version of the Port Usage Analyzer. http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_PortUsageAnalyzer.htm 2.0.2 is the latest version. 1.0.61 is almost 3 years old now.

I tried renaming the log file and it did start a new log file but it continued as it had before as one large single day file. I then upgraded to the latest version and renamed the log file again. After three days it is still only creating a single day file. See attached screen shot. Any other ideas?

To be real clear here, this has nothing at all to do with the Port Usage Anaylzer. If the data file is one big file for multiple days, there's something wrong further up stream. Newer versions of PSM will (and can) do nothing about this.

I'd open a case with TAC to figure out what's going on with your logging.

Understood. I wasn't sure if the analyser had something to do with breaking the logs up by date or if that was a function of Unity itself. I have a failover server and it is breaking the logs up correctly so I must have an issue with the unity installation itself. I'll contact TAC. Thanks for the help