cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prefix digit needed in Ext Phone LDAP contact field imported in UPC

f-genovese
Level 1
Level 1

I'd like to add a prefix digit "0" to the ext phone numbers of the corporate contacts, imported from LDAP in CUP 7.0.2 (operating with CUPS 7.0.6 and CUCM 6.1.2). The "0" prefix is used to route the calls towards the PSTN. The application dial rules don't fit for my requirement 'cause my Voice Gateways already insert a zero digit prefix for incoming calls, so I can dial back the missed calls appearing on the UPC simply with a click.

The "0" digit prefix is needed for external calls and it's mandatory.

The customer don't want to modify the Phone Book database. Does anyone know if it's possible to add a prefix manipulating the Phone number field inside the CUPS or in the the UPC xml file, or in other any way?

UPC-Contact.jpg

Regards,

Federico Genovese.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Digit manipulation could happen in multiple places.  If you're going to do it in multiple places, you'll have to consider the interoperability

For simple design, maintenance and troubleshooting, you should do digit manipulation in as fewer places as possible.

I'd recommend you use E.164 number in the phone book (LDAP).  If your phone book follows E.164 standard, it'll be easier for application to do digit manipulation (ie. strip + and prefix appropriate access codes).

If your client says "I don't want to change this but I want that", just tell him "no pay, no gain". 

Michael

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

Application Dial Rules would be the best solution.

I don't quite understand your statement "The application dial rules don't fit for my requirement 'cause my Voice Gateways already insert a zero digit prefix for incoming calls".

Since the imported phone book is for outgoing calls, I don't see why application dial rule didn't fit your requirement.  Could you elaborate more?

Thanks!

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Hi htluo

I try to explain.

Suppose I create different application dial rules for insert a zero prefix, for different length of numbers.

When I try to re-call a missed call from my Personal Communicator, the Application dial rule insert a zero prefix digit and that's not good, 'cause my missed call number has already the zero prefix inserted by the voice gateway, so the result is that I try to call with two  zero prefix.

For example the cell phone 3356197492 call my office phone. If I miss the call the numebr 03356197492 appears as you see below:

If I tried to recall the 03356197492 the general application dial rule would insert another zero so the result would be 003356197492.

There is also another issue for not preferring the application dial rules: national missed calls arrive to the CUCM with 2 zeroes prefix, but also the "+" digit for international calls must be translated into a "00" in the phonebook, 'cause the cucm 6.x doesn't recognize the "+" digit resulting in a collision of rules. That's the reason I'd need to modify the LDAP field instead of creating application dial rules.

Thanks,

Federico.

Digit manipulation could happen in multiple places.  If you're going to do it in multiple places, you'll have to consider the interoperability

For simple design, maintenance and troubleshooting, you should do digit manipulation in as fewer places as possible.

I'd recommend you use E.164 number in the phone book (LDAP).  If your phone book follows E.164 standard, it'll be easier for application to do digit manipulation (ie. strip + and prefix appropriate access codes).

If your client says "I don't want to change this but I want that", just tell him "no pay, no gain". 

Michael

Hi Michael,

I succeeded in getting the application dial rules working with "+" transaltion, using the E.164 number in the phone book (LDAP).

I translated the "+" digit in "00" and one more zero "0" to make external calls: so "+" was translated in "000".

The CUCM 6.1.x doesn't understand the digit +, so the Application dial rules were useful for the scope.

I also implemented a translation pattern for each Site (belongong to a Site Partition) to force international calls to become national when needed.

This solution is working fine and I'm going to say the issue is fixed.

Thank you,

regards

Federico.