cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Presence Compliance Message Archiver

sean Riley
Level 4
Level 4

For litigation discovery reasons, I have been asked to find a way to purge IM history to only keep a certain number of days available.  Can I use the external database to keep IM history and purge on a schedule?  Also, if we set the option to NOT allow users to log IM history on their computer, do they still have access to IM history from the external database?

Thanks.

CUPC 8.5.4

CUPS 8.5

4 Replies 4

Hi Sean,

You can use an external db to store all IM traffic

If you go to CUP admin pages ---> Messaging ---> Compliance you can select  'message archiver'

You need to deploy postgreSQL as an external database

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/8_0/english/install_upgrade/database/guide/Preparing_database_setup.html

All the inbound (and optionally outbound) IM traffic will be logged. The users normall will not have access to the DB. It is the responsibility of the DB admin to maintain the DB (ie create scheduled maintenance tasks)

Let me know if this is clear.

Thanks,

Christos

So if I set up the external DB to store all IM traffic, then change the setting in CUPS - Message Settings, to remove the check mark for "Allow clients to log instant message history...", will the CUPC client be able to pull message history from the external DB?

Thanks.

Hi

No - CUPC doesn't have the ability to read the compliance DB.

In fact, CIsco don't give you any method at all for reading the information - you must develop or source a method of interrogating the DB yourself.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Aaron is right. CUPC doesn't have anything to do with the external DB.

It is the DB admin or whoever has access to the DB that has also access to the IMs stored there.

It is the responsibility of the customer to maintain and pull the data from the DB.

Thanks,
Christos