cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prevent Admins from making changes

mmendonca
Level 1
Level 1

Upgrading CUCM from 7.1.(2) to 8.1(3) this coming weekend.  I start by upgrading the inactive partitions then rolling them over to active during the maintenance window.  I ask that all Admins not make any changes or adds to the system during this time.  My understanding may be wrong but if they did the changes wouldn't be there once we swap to the new version.  I'm assuming that the system takes a snapshot of the db when upgrading to the inactive partition.  If I'm wrong then this is all a moot point.  If I'm not I'm wondering is there a way to prevent them from making changes temporarily?  I did research this a little but I'm not finding the quick and easy.  Too many things to do just wondering if someone has the quick and easy answer.

Thanks

Mark

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Mark,

You are most correct about the dB snapshot when upgrading

so this is a serious consideration

One thing you could do before getting started is to change the admin

password. If it were me though I would just ask the others to not make

any changes during this time period, and if they really,really had to

just document what was done so it can be replicated post upgrade.

Best of luck with your upgrade!

Cheers!

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for the quick response.  All the Admins have their own accounts so I couldn't just change one password.  I've always employed the model I referred to and they usually abide by it or suffer the consequences.  Guess there's no easy way to insure that.

As always thanks for you informative output.

Mark

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Mark,

Just threaten them with severe "Beat-Downs" hahahahaha! Just

kidding (sort of )

I'm sure they have a vested interest in making the upgrade successful

so you should be good to go.

ROCK-ON! And let us know how you make out.

Cheers!

Rob

On top of Rob's tips (always good), I'd offer 2 alternatives.  One is more work than the others.  Ideally, each user should have their own admin account configured as an application user with the rights you want them to have.  So, if you're following best practice then option 1:

Remove the CCM rights for admin users once you need to start working on the upgrade process.  There will certainly be no changes on their part but you'll have to add the appropriate rights back after the change.

Option 2 leverages BAT export which the new import/export are something I use quite quite often.  Here you go, option 2:

Get a backup (you would likely do this anyway).

Export the CUCM application users.  This will give you a TAR file that will contain the data you exported and you can view it in Excel, Text, etc.

Delete the CUCM admin users.  Definitely no changes now.

After upgrade and validation, use BAT to import the data you exported.  Voila!

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

And +5 to Rob.

Hailey,

Thanks for the alternatives both are good.  Each Admin only has phone and user rights.  They don't bat anything so we're not talking anything significant. Even if they did we could always as you eluded to run the bat file again.

Mark 

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hailey,

Great options here! Really well thought out. +5 all day long

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: