Views
Helpful
Replies

Prevent Users from Using Distribution Lists

Beth Verish
Level 1
Level 1

Happy New Year. Unity 4.1.

I want to prevent users from sending messages to public distribution lists. They now have access to the "All Subcribers", "Systen Event Messages" and "Unaddressed Messages" from the two Unity servers. I have the default COS

-> Messages -> "Subscribers can send messages to public distribution lists" unchecked. What else do I need to do?

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Beth -

Just saw your post. Here's how we do it: Go to AD Users and Computers and display the properties of the Distribution List. On the Exchange General tab, there is a section called Message Restrictions. The default is to accept messages from anyone. We restrict it to the users that are Unity admins.

Happy New Year to you too! Ginger

Hi Ginger,

Thanks for the response. We have Windows 2000 Advanced Server for both our Unity and Exchange servers. I do not have or see a "restrictions" section under the General tab section. I played with teh Security settings yesterday, denied read, send to and read phone and mail options for authenticated users. That did not prevent me from sending to the list though. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Beth

Hi again -

What version of Exchange are you running? The option I mentioned is new in Exchange 2003 - Restrict distribution lists to authenticated users. Ginger

I am running Windows 2000 Advanced server with Exchange 2000. Large deployement, voice mail only. Do you know how to restrict with 2000?

Thanks!

Hi Beth -

After checking further, I believe this option is also configurable with Exchange 2000. If you are not seeing the Exchange General Tab when you access ADUC, install the Exchange Management Tools on the workstation from where you will run ADUC. On the Exchange General Tab, you should see the Message Restrictions area. In your MMC, also select View Advanced Features. Let me know if this works for you!

Ginger

Hi Ginger,

I finally got it working. I went on my Unity server and AD Users and Groups, there was the Exchange tabs, I set the msg restrictions and now have stopped the users from sending a broadcast via the all subscriober dist. lists. I hope Cisco fixes this soon, users can still see the all subscribers dist. list, add it as a recipient but will get an error msg of an undeliverable msg after they try to send it. Thanks again for your assistance!

Beth

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: