Helpful
Replies

Prompt for phone password

joe.conger
Level 1
Level 1

Unity 4.1

CM 4.1.3(sr3a)

I've recently turned on the new feature prompt "Only when user calls from unknown extension". This feature allows me to just press the message key and log into voicemail from my primary office phone. I also have a phone with shared line appearence(7960) in my data center that also allows me to just press the message key to access voicemail. How can I allow this functionalty at my primary office phone and disable it on phones with shared line appearances?

The data center phone does not have subscriber voicemail account.

Joe

4 Replies 4

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Joe -

I suspect the data center extension has been coded as an alternate extension for your Unity account, which would also allow you to access voicemail from that phone without entering a password. You can check this by accessing your Unity account and checking the Alternate Extension section. Or you can run a subscriber report from Unity Tools Depot - Administration Tools - Subscriber Information Dump. Check, at minimum, the boxes Alias and All Alternate Extensions. Alternate extensions are unique, so you would be the only one having the data center phone in your record. But this report would give you a status of other phones that would be accessed using the feature. Another thing you can do, is disable the Easy Message Access feature by removing the voicemail profile in CallManager for the data center phone. That way, the MESSAGES button cannot be pressed to dial Unity.

Ginger

Ginger

I have no alternate extension listed for my subscriber.

Removing the voicemail profile will fix this specific issue. However that will not fix my 7960 w7914 sidecar phones that use share line appearances and need voicemail access. To me this option should only use the phone subscribers primary extension to bypass the login password.

For the time being I have disabled this option on those subscribers with shared line appearances

Joe

Unity makes no distinction for alternate and primary extension - they are the same. The primary extension's only claim to fame is it's the one that shows up on the profile page and is the default for transfers and MWIs when you use "x" replacement variable there. That's it.

For direct and forwarded calls when we look up the match on which subscriber the call should be routed to or which mailbox we should log into, the database view isolates us from making a distinction on actions to take based on if it's the primary, alternate or user entered alternate extension. To be fair the docs do cover this...

To do what you want we'd have to implement something like device templates (something I'd like to do but is a significant chunk of work). For each extension you enter (primary, alternate, user entered alternate) you can associate them with a template of settings - these would include retries, digit timeouts, prompt/message speed, conversation to use, PW gathering options and probably a few others. In this way if you call from, say, your cell phone it could use a different set of conversation assumptions than if you call from your desk IP phone for instance.

This would be cool but is not on the short term radar since as noted it is a chunk of work. It's on the wish-list, however.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice feature. But I was hoping that there was a setting in the Advanced Settings Tool that would allow me to configure the password setting to just use the primary extension.

Thanks for the information

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: