Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Question about dual integration - Avaya phones on a Unity via QSIG

Has anyone had any luck with this type of integration? Here is Cisco document on it: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk1077/technologies_tech_note09186a00803d22cd.shtml#cu_ip_phones

A few of the integration steps seem to be missing from this document, such as how to program coverage in the Avaya system and how Avaya uses the Cisco MWI on/off codes. Can anyone explain this?

I noticed that this integration was tested with an Avaya s8700. I am interested in doing this on an Avaya G3R if possible. Is there any reason why it can?t be done on a g3r?

• Unified Communications Applications
13 REPLIES

Re: Question about dual integration - Avaya phones on a Unity vi

You should be able to do this just fine with the G3. The MWI codes in your switch... something like *72 on and *71 off or something like.. I forgot what Avaya is. Unity has the config code for the G3 on what the timing is with the G3. How do you plan to do the Unity Integration? Dialogic? PIMG?, etc..... With CallManager, they are using the TSP ports... with Avaya, you will not have that luxury... you will need some sort of media to connect Unity to the Avaya system. In the past, I have just using Dialogic boards with up to 24 ports of VM from the G3. Works fine. The G3 gives the DTMF to Unity and Unity and handle the rest.

hope this helps

Do I really need a Dialogic card or PIMG?

I believe the particular integration method that I provided a link for doesn?t not require any additional hardware, such as dialogic card or PIMG device. Has anyone successfully done this type of integration? http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk1077/technologies_tech_note09186a00803d22cd.shtml#cu_ip_phones

oh.. I see.. missed the diagram... So what you are trying to do is:

Avaya phone rings 4 times, rolls to the Unity voicemail pilot number which is pointed to the QSIG trunk, this then rolls to the CallManager, which then has to process the call as a number in Unity (route pattern). Unity *should* be able to pick this up via the TSP ports from CallManager and "see" the caller ID and DN from the QSIG trunk.

MWI signals might be a little tough, but QSIG is supposed to be able to foward these back and forth.

If the G3 can process Qsig exactly the same as the example in the link above, I'm sure it would work the same. Qsig, is Qsig. It does not change.

Thanks for your help. I guess I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

I got everything working except MWI on the Avaya phones. If anyone has any info on how to get MWI to work on Avaya phones via Unity/QSIG, please let me know. Thanks.

In Unity, when you get a new message, you will need to send the MWI code to the Avaya G3. I think they are something like *72 and *73... but you should be able to dialing into your G3 and look at the code that is used for MWI. This code is what you use for Unity to turn on/off MWI for those phones. QSIQ will pass this code in the data channel if you can pass it through.

In the config files built into Unity, if you select the Avaya integration in UTIM, it has the codes built in, but this is only for Avaya integratin to the switch. But if you use the Cisco IP with TSP, you don't get this option. Cisco IP phones will turn on/off mwi just fine.. because you using an Extension to dial. Unless you can change the avaya G3 to an extension number for the MWI code as same as the CCM

Cisco Employee

If the MWI over QSIG doesn't pan out for you (sorry, I don't have advice on how to get that going) then an alternative might be to add a single PBXLink for the sole purpose of sending MWI to the Avaya. There's more info on this type of configuration in the Appendices of each of the CCM-Unity integration guides. For example, see Figure 3 here...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_configuration_guide09186a00805f167d.html#wp1764617

-Eric

Good call on the PBXlink.. forgot about the stellar piece of art cisco provides for avaya..... it does work... just need a serial cable or Unity close to the PBX switch....

Thanks for the info. I made the MWI activation on/off codes the same in Avaya as what was already configured in the Unity/CCM integration. That don?t fix it but that was a good idea.

This is how it is currently configured: call comes into an Avaya phone -> if no one answers it routes to a voicemail pilot on CCM (via a QSIG trunk) which happens to be the same voicemail pilot that the Cisco IP phones use -> the mailbox answers/plays message and caller can leave a message.

This is where is gets confusing, now that the mailbox has a new message, how is Unity going to activate MWI? Does it dial the MWI on/off code then the extension number? If Unity dials the on/off code is CCM going to know how to pass it to Avaya?

I noticed that in UTIM there is an option to add a trunk access code for a PBX. What is the purpose of that and can I use it somehow?

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.