Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on IOS conf Bridge and CUCM SW Conf Bridge working together

BILL PETERSEN
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was considering turning up IOS Conf bridge resources on remote voice gateways since I have a lot of spare DSP resources. Transcoding resources are configured at the sites where the CUCM PUB and SUB reside but are not really needed because the WAN being QMOE, we just used G711 between regions to keep audio quality high.

Folks are using the SW conf resources on CUCM now. I was wondering if I had the IOS conf resources in the VG's at remote sites and add them to appropriate Media Resource Groups and lists, how the hardware and sw conf bridges work together. An example is if a conf is started using the IOS conf resource and the conf grows behind what that resource can handle, does the conference start using the SW conf bridge in the media resource group list? Does the conf transfer completely over to the SW conf resoure.

Can someone shed some light on that?

Thanks

Bill

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Correct, but it can change based on codecs.

Depending on which codecs and IOS version you have, you can change that to 32 using only G711 or 16 using G729/G711, any other combination makes that 8 conferencees.

If you use a SW CFB then you're limited by the service parameters for number of conferencees which is greater than on a HW  CFB but then you can only do G711.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, once you start using either one you stick to it and it's limitations (codecs/number of participants, etc) for the duration of the conference.

This is not dynamic, you choose one CFB via the MRGL and the one that you select is the one you'll use for that conference.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Thanks

So would a Meet Me conf utilize the SW conf bridge on CUCM or would it depend on the MRGL associated with the IP phone that is activating the meet me and the conf bridge called up first in their MRGL such as hardware or sw conf bridge?

That completely depends on the MRGL of the phone that starts the meet-me or the adhoc conference.

You need to order the MRGs in the order in which you want to use them, because resources within the MRG are used on a round robin best effort algorithm

HTH

java

HTH

java

Awesome

Thanks

That answers how I think I need to roll out the HW conf bridges.

Last question:

So if a IP phone initiates a Meet Me and that phones MRGL has a HW conf bridge listed first that can only allow 8 participants, will the Meet me then be limited to the 8?

Correct, but it can change based on codecs.

Depending on which codecs and IOS version you have, you can change that to 32 using only G711 or 16 using G729/G711, any other combination makes that 8 conferencees.

If you use a SW CFB then you're limited by the service parameters for number of conferencees which is greater than on a HW  CFB but then you can only do G711.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: