cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recording Phone calls with Unity?

degriffin
Level 1
Level 1

We have a requirement (via our legal department) to record phone calls (the entire conversation) made to certain extensions within our organization.

- Is there a way to leverage the Unity Platform (v3.1(4)) to perform this function?

- We plan to upgrade to Unity 4.x in about 6 weeks, if the version makes a difference?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

7 Replies 7

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

I am pretty sure that Unity does not do this. here is a link to a company with a product that can though.

http://www.eyretel.com/content/Products%20&%20Services/Products/Full-Time%20Recording/home.asp

Hope this helps.

Please remember to rate all replies

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, Unity doesn't offer a live record capability at this point.

As with all such requests, make sure to have your account team open a PERs request so the product folks know it's something desired in the field.

Thank you.

OK, maybe it ain't offered but I see "live Record" in the call routing rules. I understand that this feature is legacy from NEC integrations.

However, I want to make this work with CallManager and don't imnd if TAC doesn't support it. I made a routing rule that says if Unity recieves a call from my IP phone, start live record. But it don't work. Can I "rig" this to work or no?

I'm checking into it - you may be able to shoe-horn this in. All the live record conversation did was to check the calling number to see if it was a local subscriber and if it was to just record silently until the call terminated - not too fancy. The message is left as a message from the subscriber to themselves in their inbox.

The call routine rules in the older Unity servers (you must be running on a 3.x version of Unity) had that in there but you'll notice a long string of digits for the calling reason - this was sent by the switches that supported this type of thing (NEC, Toshiba and I think there was some other box that also did this) - the switch took care of silently conferencing a line and calling Unity with a softkey on the phone - all Unity did was pick up and start recording and then leave the resulting message in your box.

There were legal concerns along the way (i.e. the lack of a periodic "beep" tone played out and such) and this conversation may have been stubbed out. I'll research a bit and get back to you.

Just to follow up on this. The conversations guys have dusted off the old live record conversation DLL and made a few little tweeks to it to make it work without the integration information coming in from the switch (i.e. the conversation wouldn't kick in unless the routing reason was the special one we were looking for back when the conversation first came into existence some years ago).

Anyway, If you're at 4.0(1) or later, it should work for you. I'm doing some more tests with it but it should be as easy as replacing the existing live recor DLL with this one, restarting and you're in -

I've tested it on 4.0(4) and 4.0(3) so far - it should work back to 4.0(1). If you want to give it a whirl on your own, ping me at lindborg@cisco.com and I'll shoot you a copy.

If it all looks good after testing I'll post it for download on www.CiscoUnityTools.com so everyone can get at it.

My understanding is that Unity is capable of Live record, the issue is that Call Manager does not support it. In order to record and IP call, unity would have join the call in some way, perhaps a conference.