cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rename Alias - effect on Unity

s.casper_2
Level 1
Level 1

Unity 4.05 offbox exchange -I have several users that for various reasons I need to change their Alias in AD. If I do a Rename in AD will this propagate to Exchange and Unity or do I need to delete the user in Unity and import them back in ?

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The alias change will propogate into Unity fine... should cause Unity any problems as the users are all referenced by their unique GUID (which never changes after creation) not their alias.

Just so I am clear on this.....

Because Unity references users by their GUID there is no problem from a Unity standpoint with doing a Rename in AD and changing the Full Name, First and Last Name, Display Name, and the User Logon Name and the pre-Windows2000 User Logon Name to reflect a name change or a user relocation? Then I can go ahead and change the Alias under the Exchange General Tab and these changes will propagate into Unity?

Would I then be able to re-use all of the original data to create a new user at some point thus creating a new unique GUID?

Thanks!

Your second post is not the same question. I said you can update the alias in the directory and it will propogate to Unity. That's it.

I'd have to look into the rest of your assumptions based on my simple statement. I can't say without testing about the logon name and the pre Windows logon name - I don't know right off hand and it's not something that comes up in the field.

And I don't know what you're asking about "reusing" the original data to create a new user. That's a little bit of a confusing statement.

Sounds like you have another agenda here... I'm a little leery to say "yeah, let 'er rip". You should try this on a test user and find out for sure.

Thanks yes, the question changed. Here is the scenario:

We have large groups of users using Unity that need to be relocated to new locations that are on a different Unity system but in the same AD domain.The existing mailboxes and associated phone numbers need to stay in place for 30-60 days. Our Operations group want to set up the new mailboxes in the new locations when thay install the phones ahead of time and our Directory group wants the subscribers AD IDs to still be associated with thier new Unity Mailboxes. The users do not care about moving messages or having to re-record thier greetings.

I was hoping we could rename all of the existing AD/Exchange attributes for the users that are moving - say by adding a -z to the end of all of them and then "reuse" the valid Name/Alias data for the user in their new location. I know this is unconventional and there are tools for moving subscribers but they can not be used ahead of time as we set up the various bays of telephones.

Anyway sorry for the long winded explanation, Your advice is always appreciated. I will try it out and post my results.