Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Restarting Unity Services after reboot

The Unity server running 4.0 seems to not start Unity services after it reboots. Is it waiting on dependancies, for example, exchange, to be running before it will start, and if Exchange hasnt started in time, then Unity doesnt start? The Scenario is, after a reboot, we have to log in and start unity via the system tray as it doenst start on its own. This is a clients server which I dont have direct access to so it is being relayed to me what they are doing.

8 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Restarting Unity Services after reboot

Hi,

Without knowing which services are/are not starting and what the Event Viewer/application and service logs show, it would be hard to troubleshoot this one.

I'd suggest reproducing the problem and before starting Unity manually, gathering the GUSI output (GUSI can be found in Tools Depot) and either reviewing the GUSI output data yourself or working with TAC to resolve the issue.

Since Unity will start (albeit after manual intervention), it does seems like some sort of timing issue between Unity and its dependent components (e.g. SQL, AD, Exchange or Domino). However, Unity should start even if Exchange is not yet started.

I hope this helps.

I do believe it is a timing issue, and is probably related to Exchange not starting quick enough. I will have him see if he can change the way the service starts.

OK, Dumb question, but since this int a standard windows service, where can I set the retry period? I was going to have him change the recovery to restart the service on subsequent failures, but all I see on my lab server is the Unity manager which is set to manual. I dont see any properties on the web page where you start and stop the services either.

Ah, I found them, did the simple thing and shut down Unity and found out which services stopped. After oing through all of them I found out NONE depend on Exchange, so I doubt Exchange it the problem, what I did find though was MSSQLSERVER and Message Queuing services are dependancies on several of the services, so I am having him change the recovery on those services to restart on the subsequent failures. Hopefully this will resolve it.

YOu should really upgrade your Unity Version to a newer release. 4.0 has had known issues of services not starting correctly after reboot. After the server reboots, you have to manually stop/start the Unity services from the SA icon in the corner. You can move up to Unity 4.05SR1 with engineering releases on top of that. Or, go for it and upgrade to 4.2.1.. much more stable than the 4.0 versions.

Cheers

Ahh, that makes sense. He wasnt too concerned about it as they rearely erboot the server, but I will see if we can get them the upgrade off their CCO.

For whatever reason, I had the same problem with this version. Some reboots worked, some did not. I was running VM only, exchange on box, etc. I had dialogic cards running as well, but it was all a timing issue in Windows. The services just would not start in time and then Unity would not start. The later releases seem to fix this.

Here is the error reported in event viewer.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: CiscoUnity_Miu

Event Category: Error

Event ID: 522

Date: 1/11/2007

Time: 9:07:08 PM

User: N/A

Computer: UNITY

Description:

Cisco Unity's telephony component has encountered a serious error.

EXPLANATION:

A serious failure has occurred on port 1 during telephony processing. Depending upon the severity of the failure, parties on this call could experience unexpected behavior or be disconnected. In some cases, further calls on this port will not be handled correctly.

TECHNICAL DETAILS:

Thread 0x00001124 had a failure on port 1 in method CAvMiuLine::LineInit()

DESCRIPTION: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005) at 0x5DE33A85. Unable to access data at 0x00000000..

CALL SEQUENCE:

For more information, click: http://www.CiscoUnitySupport.com/find.php

Views
Helpful
Replies