Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Restore Cisco Unity Connection Cluster 8.6

Hi,

we just migrate a Cisco Unity Connection Cluster 8.6 from hardware to VMWare.

At the moment the Publisher was installed and restored with the backup which was taken from the hardware publisher.

Then the subscriber was installed and restored with the backup from the backup which was taken from the hardware subscriber.

At the moment we don`t have the correct licenses installed because there will be this week once again a hardware change after which we will make the relicensing.

At the moment both servers at VMWare publisher and subscriber hat at CUUC Serviceability the server status "primary".

- At publisher we see at server status "primary" at his own server (publisher) and the status "not reachable" for subscriber.

- At subsriber we see at server status also "primary" at his own server (subsriber) and the status "not reachable" for publisher

Is this behavior normal as long as we don`t have installed the HA and all the other licenses?

BR

Michael

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

This is not normal and the

This is not normal and the reason you are seeing this message is because the servers were individually restored. This is not the correct procedure.

Here is what you have to do,

Restore the Publisher server from a backup taken from the old Publisher server.

Run the 'utils cuc cluster overwritedb' command on the subscriber server - this will copy the database from the Publisher server and establish replication.

This procedure is documented in the DRS guide.

What you have done may work, but not tested or documented anywhere. Since both databases have the required data, it may work if replication is reset. Follow the steps mentioned in this document to fix replication:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unity-connection/116942-technote-uc-00.html

HTH

Anirudh

Hi Anirudh, many thanks for

Hi Anirudh,

many thanks for the information. I will make this / test this by this evening or tomorrow when I`m back in the office.

Is there any need to make an own backup from Subsriber when I don`t have to restore the Subscriber but overwrite the db from pub to sub?

When I compare it with CUCM I can see in DRS schedule from CUCM pub both CUCM servers CUCM pub and CUCM sub as registered components to backup and when I restore CUCM from the pub I can restore both CUCM servers pub and sub.

In the DRS schedule of Unity pub I only can see the Unity pub as registered components but not components of Unity sub. So therefore the question if there is any need to take a own DRS backup from Unity sub?

Or do I only have to restore the unity pub from his own backup and make the overwritedb?

BR

Michael

Cisco Employee

Hi Michael, You do not need a

Hi Michael,

You do not need a backup from the Subscriber Server. A subscriber backup is not normally taken. Just the Publisher backup will do. Sometimes the Backup may get corrupted due to network disruptions during the transfer or if the channel is not closed correctly after the transfer of data. In these scenarios, a backup from subscriber will help. But these are really rare scenarios.

Even if you loose the Publisher server, you can reinstall the Publisher server and run the renegotiate command to copy the database from Subscriber to Publisher. So you really dont need a back. The only scenario you need a backup is for migrations or when both servers fail.

The Call Manager back up does not backup the data from the subscribers. You'll see the components as registered. All it does is backup the platform related information to identify the nodes. If the components are not registered there could be issues with the AMC or RIS data collector service. There could also be issues with replication. This does not prevent the backup from being successful. I believe it should work fine even if the components of the other servers are not registered.

In Unity Connection, you'll find registered components for only that node. 

CUCM and Unity Connection are designed by two different teams and hence (I believe) the difference.

HTH

Anirudh

Views
Helpful
Replies