cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Restoring Unity to a new server

evanrichards
Level 1
Level 1

Currently I have Unity 4.0(3) running on an old IBM x-345. I purchased an HP 380 G4 to try to migrate to. The HP is in an isolated lab environment with no exchange server. Is there anyway I can install unity on the lab server, then use DiRT to restore to it, then put it in the production environment? At the moment I get to the point in the unity install where it wants to know what kind of exchange server I am using. I click the radio button for exchange 2003 (thats is what is in production) and then the install fails because it can't detect an exchange server.

5 Replies 5

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You must have Exchange installed somewhere in your lab for it run. I would not move Unity from Lab to production. In Production, I would install new, then migrate. (test it all in lab, etc)

I'm trying to minimize downtime as we have a 24/7 call center. Do you know approximately how long it takes to bring a new server online? Also, can I bring the new server online with a different IP, then when I'm ready to use DiRT, take the current Unity offline, change the IP of the new server, and run the DiRT?

I would probably do the two hop method.

- upgrade your current Unity server to the version you want it to be. (4.0.4 to 4.2 etc)

The upgrade will take Unity offline for a little bit of time. Depends on how big the SQL database is. If your subscriber base is small, the upgrade does not take that long. If the subscriber base is large, with many call handlers, etc.. it could take 1-3 hours just to upgrade.

DIRT can run while the server is running. (At least for backup.) For a restore, probably have to come offline.

For your new server, i would probably not worry about the IP address. Use a new address.

Update your CallManager or PBX for the new server and you are in business.

There may be a period of time during the migration that all the subscriber settings will not be in place. Unity will still take the message, but not have the custom greetings until the DIRT import goes back in.

- backup Unity

- Upgrade Unity

- install new Unity server

- Test new Unity server

- backup old unity server

- import to new unity server

- Test new server

- Change CallManager to new unity server

- Test

You should be able to run this way with the least amount of downtime. There is just that inbetween spot where a few messages may not be migrated while the old is still running and you are testing the new server. Keep that window small, communicate with the subsribers and you should be good to go.

cheers

Boy what a pain. So I actually got the new Unity server up and running in my lab (I installed an exchange server). I used DiRT to restore the most recent backup and everything works fine. The only problem now is that my Unity Licensing GUI shows that I only have 10 licenses when I should have 600. Do I actually need to logon to the cisco site and redo all my license files? Please tell me no.

...opps! and one more thing.... If you change hardware, the Unity License is tied to the NIC's MAC address.

So on your old server, if you had them TEAMED, you will have a teamed MAC address. This is what was registered with the license file. Now you have a new server, simple call up Cisco, tell them you have migrated hardware, give them the new TEAM MAC address and they will send you a new license file for your new platform.

Remember Unity License file tied to the MAC address of the NIC card.

Cheers