Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Restricting Forwarding of E-mails - Unified Messaging

I will try to make this as simple as possible:

I have a customer with Unified Messaging and the following need:

-- Need to be able to restrict employees from forwarding voicemails to other e-mail recipients (internal or external).

---- *NOTE*: This is strictly a dummy check. If the user saves the wav file and then re-attaches it to another e-mail, that is ok. I am *ONLY* looking for a way to restrict a user from forwarding the original voicemail e-mail.

---- Any option we use MUST be automatic and require no manual intervention (Like users marking VMs as private themselves).

---- I am willing to accept a global solution. Whatever solution I come up with does not have to be able to be defined on a user level.

The following things are NOT options:

-- Exchange or Active directory policies. The customer has explicitly told me there is no way they can do it (Im willing to listen to this method if you can say with 100% certainty your idea will work).

-- Secure Private Messaging: The limitations of this feature keep it from being an option (Mainly that outside messages cannot be marked as private).

A method that I know will work:

-- Dont use Unified Messaging (The idea is to create duplicate account in AD and exchange for everyone taking away the ability to get voicemail in e-mail). This is the path we will take if there is no other way to accomplish our goal. Last Resort option in other words.

And just to explain the reasoning a little bit. The legal department is concerned with sensitive information getting out accidentally. If the user is to download the wav file, attach it to another e-mail, and then forward it to someone it is not supposed to go to, that is a violation of the employee policy and the company is protected and the employee can be held accountable. But if the employee accidentally forwards the wrong e-mail and a bad situation incurs because of it, the company can be at fault and that is the bottom line here. Like I said, they need a dummy check in place for their users.

Any ideas?

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: Restricting Forwarding of E-mails - Unified Messaging

Well, with the restrictions you've laid out here I don't believe there is any option that will work for you.

For the Unity 4.3 (5.0) release there will be the option to encrypt ALL messages regardless of source (including outside callers) - this means messages can only be heard over the phone by users calling into a Unity server on the corporate network - even if users did forward the message outside the company (i.e. using copy/paste techniques), external folks would not be able to listen to them (they get a "decoy" message in the WAV file).

From your description this sounds like the only viable option to use with Unified messaging since we have no control over the desktop clients the customer may be using.

If there's some way to keep all clients (or bounce all messages on the server side) that are being forwarded externally that also have a message class of IPM.Note.Voice.Unity (voice mail messages) then this might work, but right off hand I don't know of a way to do that easily. Someone else might have an idea of how to accomplish that.

Views
Helpful
Replies