Views
Helpful
Replies

Retrieve individual messages from DRS backup

Stephen Keller
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning all,                  

I have a customer running Unity Connection 8.6 who had a few folks digging through the deleted items folder trying to find a specific message. However this morning the deleted items folder is empty. At this point I suspect it is due to the aging policy permanently deleting them. We do have current system backups including messages.

My question is: Is there are way to retrieve voice mail messages from the backups without restoring the entire backup to the server?

There is a tool called MessageFisher that looks promising, but it cannot work with version 8.0 + due to the encrypting of the TAR files during a backup.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

3 Replies 3

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Stephen,

From what i see in TAC case database it looks that it is not supported yet, however i will also wait for others to put forward their thoughts on this.

HTH

Manish

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, Manish is correct - it's not supported.  A supported mechanism to unencrypt the TAR files from the platform backups was pursued but never staffed.  Annoying I know (I wrote the DRS Message Fisher - no one was more annoyed than me!).

You will find folks that have figured out how to unencrypt their TAR files out there (I think I've seen forum posts on this) but this is not something Cisco supports or condones so it's not something we can comment on unfortunately.

-J

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Stephen,

I've sent you a PM with some info. Some peeps were working on this

issue and they referenced Jeff's great DRS Message Fisher Tool

The fact that there are people at Cisco who don't support the ongoing viability

of these awesome Unity Tools is disappointing to say the least. Jeff is out there fighting for

us so we need to support him by filing PER's whenever a tool like this is rendered useless

by another group within the same company!

They must not have ever worked with or for a customer demanding a message file for

legal or other reasons.

Cheers!

Rob

"Seek it out and ye shall find  " 

- OneRepublic