Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RTP streams in Unity environment

Hi,

I've got the topic in this UC subforum which has produced a new question for me.

I prefer to make a new thread because previous one is big enough and have another target task.

I have a little argue with Tommer Catlin who graciously helps me with my another thread's problem.

The subject is how RTP streams flow while ip phone's call is forwarded to Unity.

Everyone knows that CUCM does not proxy RTP and this type of traffic

flows directly between endpoints (most of all). In other words the typical call:

* Signaling path is: "IP Phone #1 <> CUCM <> IP Phone #2"

* Voice path is: "IP Phone #1 <> IP Phone #2"

Is the item's (1) model is also fair/applicable for IP Phone call

being forwarded to Unity by CUCM ? My view is in such kind of the communication:

* Signaling path is: "IP Phone <> CUCM <> Unity Server"

* Voice path is: "IP Phone <> Unity"

Another point of view, which I do not agree with, is:

* Signaling path is: "IP Phone <> CUCM <> Unity Server"

* Voice path is:"IP Phone <> CUCM <> Unity Server"

What do you think ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

voice path will never be

unless you consider it will be listening to an MOH source but i'd rather say ip phone <> MOH server than CUCM. Or if you have IPCC co-resident, maybe for annunciator if something happens.

the signaling will be in the beginning between the ip phone and the CUCM server, while it tells the other phone to ring. once the no answer timer has been reached the ccm is going to call the vm pilot and once unity takes the call the signaling will still be handled by CUCM in terms that if unity or the other end ends the call CUCM will tear down the whole call process, release resources, tear down the connection on both sides, etc.

but the actual RTP will still be between endpoints, meaning that when you're listening the guy's greeting it will be ip phone <> unity

HTH

javalenc

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

voice path will never be

unless you consider it will be listening to an MOH source but i'd rather say ip phone <> MOH server than CUCM. Or if you have IPCC co-resident, maybe for annunciator if something happens.

the signaling will be in the beginning between the ip phone and the CUCM server, while it tells the other phone to ring. once the no answer timer has been reached the ccm is going to call the vm pilot and once unity takes the call the signaling will still be handled by CUCM in terms that if unity or the other end ends the call CUCM will tear down the whole call process, release resources, tear down the connection on both sides, etc.

but the actual RTP will still be between endpoints, meaning that when you're listening the guy's greeting it will be ip phone <> unity

HTH

javalenc

HTH

java

Jaime, hi,

Hope you are fine.

I've just checked out the situation by getting dump file on unity.

The thing I've seen in the dump is bi-directional exchange of rtp

streams, which are able to be analyzed and played as regular .au files.

Thank you for your unfolded reply.

Thanks Javalenc! I was trying to help him last night and was confused. I looked up in the Unity Deployment book this morning after reading your statement and it is true. There is however one thing that may shed light into his problem.

CUCM sets up the call, then drops out, but not completely. There is a skinnyTSP conversation going on between CUCM and Unity still. If the trigger goes down or does not stay up, it may be what is going on.

The call is setup, connected, but then the AvSkinnyTSP loses connection to Unity.

Is Unity and CUCM on the same LAN?

You're welcome Tommer, not sure of what the other issue is but if you point me to the thread i can go thru it and see if i can help.

you're indeed right even if the call is between the phone / GW to unity CUCM still needs to be involved to take care of joining, creating and dropping call legs and all other stuff (ie media negotiation)

javalenc

HTH

java

I believe even when the call is in connected between Unity and the IP there is still a TAPI to Skinny Conversation going on between Unity and CUCM. If that conversation is broken, of course some issue will come up.

Hi Jamie,

So the Invite that the call manager sends to Unity, SDP will have information of the phone IP address to play media?

I pulled logs from a customer envoirnment.

PSTN phone-->CUBE-->CUCM(CTI RP)---SIP Trunk-->Unity

I am checking the logs and the Invite that CUCM is sending to Unity has IP address of CUCM in SDP.

Thanks

Himanshu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: