cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Share one Unity voice mail box with two extn. numbers

jonkwan
Level 1
Level 1

CM5.0 with Unit 4.0, can I share one Unity voice mail box with two difference extn. numbers? Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jon,

This is very possible and can be accomplished in at least two ways. Lets say you want User A to share User B's Voicemail Box, you can configure a Voicemail profile (in CCM) for User B and then apply it to User A under Directory Number Configuration > Directory Number Settings > Voice Mail Profile

Or in Unity set up Alternate Extensions so that User A is an Alternate Extension for User B etc. Sharing a Cisco Unity Voice Mail Box between Two or More IP Phones

Configure Alternate Extensions

Open the Unity System Administrator web page.

Navigate to the subscriber's profile. Select Subscribers > Find and Select a Subscriber > Enter Subscriber Information then click Find and click the Subscriber's name for the subscriber that owns the primary phone (Phone B).

When the subscriber page comes up, select the Alternate Extensions option and click Add.

Enter the alternate extension number (in this case Phone A) and click the Save icon.

From this good Unity doc;

Sharing a Cisco Unity Voice Mail Box between Two or More IP Phones

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_configuration_example09186a008015ceec.shtml#steps

Hope this helps!

Rob

I am trying to do the same but when I try inserting the extension of User A's into User B's extension in alternate extension. I get "Extension already in use by user ___, Please user enter unique extension". How do I get around that so I can enter the users extension?

I am running CM 4.2 and Unity 4.0.4

Hi -

The Alternate extension, like the primary one, must be unique. So you will not be able to code User A's phone as an alt extension for User B. For a shared line with two people using for voicemail, we've taken a different tact:

- Voicemail coverage for phone xxxxx to Unity. Goes to Unity AA that says, "To leave a voice message for Joe, press 1; to leave a voice message for John, press 2"

- Voicemail enable Joe for xxxxx1

- Voicemail enable John for xxxxx2

- We modified our subscriber welcome note slightly to change how the user accesses voicemail, as the Messages button only works as a voicemail speed dial button for the Primary extension. Another option is to put a speed dial to voicemail on the user's phone so that it can be dialed directly.

Ginger

Hi Josh,

Just to be clear, this is an "all or nothing" type change. User A can't have their own personal voicemail as well as being an Alternate extension on User B. So if you deleted User A's VM then you could add them on User B.

Hope this helps!

Rob

tahequivoice
Level 2
Level 2

Alternate method, create a hunt group for the mailbox, and assign both DN's to it, when someone leaves a message on either DN, they leave it on the hunt group DN, and both phones light up. This is based on using a third party VM system, but works quite nicely, especially if you want one desktop to control both phones.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: