Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Some new VM users not receiving MWI

I am running 4.0.3 VM only Unity with Exchange 2000 on box. My MWI works just fine for my 100+ other users, except when I first add a new user. I add them to Unity. The new user can log into their VM box and set it up fine. Then if I test it I can leave a VM, the user will receive the voicemail, but will not get the MWI. If I stop and start Unity it will then work fine. I can't keep doing that every time for obvious reasons. Here is what I have done so far.

I have checked the ports to Call Manager and verified everything is fine...Plus I know that all my other users get MWI fine. I opened the Statusmonitor.exe tool and ran a trace while I resynced the users VM box with MWI and I verified that the user had the correct settings. The trace show "Dialed X" in the window.

I then opened up the Unity Diagnostic Tools and created a Micro Trace using Notifier 12 and 20. I started the trace and left the user a VM. I then looked at the logs and I never see a message 12/20. I do for my other users, but its as it never sends the message....Again if I stopped and started Unity it would work again.

Any help would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Some new VM users not receiving MWI

No worries. Re-running the Permission Wizards is not a big deal. But TAC may be able to further diagnose the problem to give you the root cause why this failed in the first place.

My current client, I typically have them as best practice to only Import Existing Exchange users/AD. This way, their Display Names in AD are correct. Unity likes to create the alias as the display name, etc. Plus, they have about 2000 unity subscribers. The accounts are autocreated from a Critical Path server Join Engine from their existing AD infrastructure. It's a crazy setup.... but it works well for new hires, terms.

cheers and good luck!

14 REPLIES
Blue

rather than stopping/restarting unity, you should be able to goto the unityToolsDepot>switchIntegrationTools>telephoneIntegrationManager>"choose your integration">properties and select the 'resynchronizeNow' button to invoke the MWI synchronization.

or you can use the unityAdmin>"subscriber">messages page to manually invoke MWI resynch for the new user only.

both of these are only remedies, you should really find the FIX for the initial problem of a new subscriber not getting MWI from the start.

(but at least the above remedies don't require a unity reboot and subsequent outage for users)

you're on the right track with using your traces/micro traces for troubleshooting.

also, verfiy you have enough VM ports assigned for MWI as well as the proper subscriber configuration for MWI.

the reason MWI beings to work after you stop/restart unity is that when unity is started, the 'AvNotfierMgr.e' service performs an MWI resynch for all subscribers, which obviously also contains your new subscriber.

please see the following link for more info on troubleshooting MWI:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a0080711ae3.shtml

I knew about the resynch ways. Even when I try and refresh for the specific subscriber, or refresh all the users at one time, it still will not turn on MWI for a newly created user. I have to stop and then start Unity for it to then work....

I have seen the docs on the links you sent, but they really don't address just for one or two users. 99% of all my other MWI works for users, its only new users...Just don't understand...Any other suggestions?

We had this problem too, but it was for an entire office that we added.

Have you verified the "Message Waiting Lamp Policy" setting on the DN's in Call Manager?

Have you tried using the Port Status Monitor in the Unity Tools Depot to see Unity dialing the MWI number in real time?

Are the partitions of the new users in the CSS of the Unity ports?

Thanks for your response. Yes I have verified the correct Lamp Policy. This is working for %99 of my users. Just the new ones I create. Then i have to stop/start Unity. I did use the statustool.exe and watched as the MWI was dialed out of port 8 to the correct extension. All the users are in the same CSS partitions....Still searching on this...

Two things to check.

At the IP phone, can you dial the MWI code on/off and control the light? If the phones you just added to your system do not have access to this css or pt, you will not be able to have Unity turn the lights on/off.

I assume this is Unity VM only:

Can you log into the subscribers Exchange box with OWA or Outlook using domain\unitymsgsvrsvc account?

Http://unitymessagingstore/exchange/subscriber alias

If you can log in, this will at least tell you the AD account is working, Exchange box is created and Unity has access to the account to notify on/off for MWI commands.

From the phone that is suspect I can dial 8001 and 8002 to turn the phone on/off with no issues.

Yes the box is VM only. I am able to log into the OWA account for the VM box of suspect with the unitymsgsvrsvc account.

Anything else I could try?

Sometimes I find that if an account is disabled in AD, Unity does have access to the Exchange box to turn the light on/off.

Or, i find that the someone had recreated the account in Unity, but did not match the Alias correct to AD. (mismatched)

OR... compare the Alias to what Exchange has listed and what Unity shows. If you had changed the Alias in AD, and this person was already a subscriber in Unity, Unity will not pick up the updated Alias.

I checked all the alias names and they all matched. If I created a user call Chad Smith, Unity relates it too csmith. I create the user through Unity and then go to the users AD directory and see the csmith user was created. I even looked at the exchange general tab to see what mailbox was created etc. It was all correct. I even verified it through the exchange manager. If the user hits the messages button on their phone they are immediately prompted to start the setup process, so I would think if the users were mismatched there would be an account match, so in theory the user wouldn't be able to set up their account...But I agree with you in the sense that some how the exchange mailbox is not connecting as it should with Unity some how....The how is the biggest question. Jeff L. are you around to look at this?

Try doing the new user setup in reverse. Create the user in AD, enable Exchange Mailbox.

Then go to Unity SA, and import this new user. What are the results? I have a feeling it has to do with some permissions.

When you do a restart of the Unity Services, Unity will go out and resync the Inboxes of all Subscribers to Unity in Exchange. It will then send out MWI "on" or "off" codes to the CCM.

Another possibility is that every new subscriber you are setting, maybe the default subscriber template has changed. There is a setting in the template or profile for users:

Make sure you have unchecked the option " Urgent only" option under voice mails in the message notification page. A very common mistake.

whew.. this is an odd one. One more thing to check to watch for. Log on to Unity at the console. Open up Unity Tools and the "Call Viewer"

Leave a message for this new subscriber and see if Unity tries to dial the MWI code to that phone extension.

Check for TSP version. Many problems sometimes relate TSP versions being used. Maybe not in your case since only new subscribers have this issue.

Good news is if I do it in reverse it works. I created the account in AD. Then opened up Unity and imported the account. I set up the account, left a message and have no issues with MWI. The bad news is I hae to do this in reverse now...I am logging on with the unitymsgstoresvc account, the same one that shows logging into the exchange accounts. I wonder why the reverse would work. I would think if it is a permissions issue, then how can Unity create the user accounts at all then? Why would it care about MWI? I have no issues with setting up users in the reverse way, but I am curious to find out why this is happening....

Thoughts with the new info?

Since this sheds new light on the subject, I would have to lean that the Unity account you are using does not have the correct permissions to add the subscribers/AD correctly. It's failing on this part.

I would download the new permsission wizard from Tools and re-run it.

Thanks - T

I will do that. I may open up a tac case and have them look at it first to make sure I have all the accounts and permissions straight so I don't mess up a live environment. Plus I can just create accounts in the reverse which is no big deal for now....

Thanks again for all this. We have been toying with this issue a long time...

No worries. Re-running the Permission Wizards is not a big deal. But TAC may be able to further diagnose the problem to give you the root cause why this failed in the first place.

My current client, I typically have them as best practice to only Import Existing Exchange users/AD. This way, their Display Names in AD are correct. Unity likes to create the alias as the display name, etc. Plus, they have about 2000 unity subscribers. The accounts are autocreated from a Critical Path server Join Engine from their existing AD infrastructure. It's a crazy setup.... but it works well for new hires, terms.

cheers and good luck!

Thanks, I agree with you that it is much cleaner in the AD config, and will most likely continue to do that in the future anyway...

Thanks again.

Views
Helpful
Replies