Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL db vs. Unity synchronization

Unity 4.0(2)

On holidays such as Christmas and New Year's Eve, our customer service call center is open until noon, and closed for the remainder of the day. The only way this is possible is to add the current day as a holiday using the web SA at the time we want to close.

Since I have the full day off on those days, and would rather not VPN in to make that change, I am trying to create a lightweight VB.net application to run on the supervisor designee's workstation that will allow them to press a button to close for the day on Christmas Eve or press another button to close for the day on New Year's.

I can check to make sure the value doesn't already exist, and then write the new holiday value to the SQL database using the sp. The problem I'm facing is that I want the application to be able to have Unity synch itself with the SQL database and have the holiday take effect immediately, as it would if added from the web SA. Is this possible?

Any help in this matter is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: SQL db vs. Unity synchronization

Yes, changing the schedule that a call handler is based on takes effect immediately - you can do this using a stored proc to update the call handler record directly in SQL pretty easily.

However, looking at the caching scheme again you might be able to get away with flipping the "ignoreholidays" flag on/off in the schedule table and have it take effect immediately - It seems to work in recent 4.x versions (i.e. 4.1) but I'd have to test it back on 4.02 to see if it would fly for you to be sure.

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

This probably wont work the way you have it planned out - holidays and schedules in 4.x are read at startup time and don't get updated unless you go through the COM interface on the box to do so (this is not published or supported for access in the field and I've never used it myself anyway so I couldn't help you with it to begin with). As such adding schedules on the fly isn't going to work for you.

If you're just updating the opening greeting call handler's behavior for outside callers coming in or the like, there are easier way to go about this - if that's what you want I can walk you through activating the alternate greetings on the fly for holidays.

I was afraid you'd say that.

We currently have three schedules (open, after-hours, holiday) and three corresponding call handlers set up per the Cisco documentation for holiday greetings.

I think I could accomplish virtually the same thing by setting up the full day as a holiday in advance, then in the morning when we want to open we set the holiday call handler's active schedule to after-hours, and when we want to close set the active schedule back to Holiday. Would this change take effect immediately based on the SQL db values?

Thanks for your help on this.

Cisco Employee

Yes, changing the schedule that a call handler is based on takes effect immediately - you can do this using a stored proc to update the call handler record directly in SQL pretty easily.

However, looking at the caching scheme again you might be able to get away with flipping the "ignoreholidays" flag on/off in the schedule table and have it take effect immediately - It seems to work in recent 4.x versions (i.e. 4.1) but I'd have to test it back on 4.02 to see if it would fly for you to be sure.

Flipping 'ignoreholidays' didn't take effect immediately so I think I'll try changing the active schedule.

Thanks for your help and insight on this.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content