cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SQL replication failure for failover Unity4.03

jeff.singh_2
Level 3
Level 3

after configuring failover on 4.03, no SQL replication was setup by the FOW. We've tried re-running the FOW on the primary failover server but now constantly get the following error:

failed to remove cisco unity objects that are associated with the secondary server from trhe dirctory - DETAILED INFORMATION:method iavrdbconnection::initialize (<servername>) returned [0x80048807].

Cannot progress any further and Unity is not starting.

After looking at diag_failoverconfig_xx the file logs several failures at the end ' failed connecting to underlying database using : provider=sqloledb;driver={sql server}; datasource = <servername>...etc'

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kevinparker
Level 1
Level 1

Here are the steps that I found to work to resolve this issue.

Failover Configuration Wizard on the Secondary fails to complete on Windows

2003 (WS03). A popup is produced and states:

"Failed to remove Cisco Unity objects that are associated with the secondary server from the Directory.

DETAILED INFORMATION:

Method IAvRdbConnection::Initialize()returned[0x80048807]:"

Conditions:

Environment - Unity 4.0(4) on a Windows 2003 server with failover

Workaround:

In SQL Server Enterprise Manager delete the "(local) (Windows NT)" SQL Server Registration. Create a new SQL server registration that is associated with the server.

1. Open SQL Server Enterprise Manager on the Secondary Server.

2. Expand the tree to the SQL server (it should be labeled as (local) (Windows

NT)

3. Right-click and select "Delete SQL Server Registration"

4. Verify that the Server Registion is deleted.

5. Select and right-click SQL Server Group.

6. Select "New SQL Server Registration"

7. Choose the that is associated with the current server.

8. Select defaults.

9. Repeat for Primary Server.

10. Reboot the Primary and Secondary Server.

11. Rerun Failover Configuration Wizard on the Secondary Server per documentation.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Chatting with one of the failover guru's about this - here's what he had to say:

===================

When FCW is run for the first time on the primary server, not much is configured (few registry changes, installing NodeMgr service etc.). When the FCW is run for the first time on the secondary server after FCW has been run on the primary server already, this is when SQL replication is configured. In addition, FCW removes all Unity default objects associated with the secondary server from the directory (EX 5.5 or AD). The objects associated with the secondary server no longer exist in SQL on the secondary as the entire database is replaced with that of the primary.

I am not sure why these folks are getting errors that FCW is unable to remove objects. Most likely permissions issues (dir svc account unable to delete accounts in AD). In addition, the errors "cannot connect to underlying database" means FCW is unable to connect to the partner server's database. They should verify MSSQL and SQLServerAgent are running using the same domain account on both the severs and that domain admin is a local admin on both the boxes.

================

The secondary server did not show any objects replicated from the primary server.

MSSQL and SQLserver agent are definately running under the same domain account with local admin rights and 'log on as a service'.

We did run the FOW succesfully once but could not see any replicated objects or replication configuration in SQL(hence we are trying to rerun FCW). Failover appears to be working i.e we can force the secondary to come up after we disconnect the primary from the LAN for example but we cannot get the SQL replication to be configured. Can SQL replication be manually configured and if so how?

We've raised a TAC case E777857.

TIA

Jeff

The TAC engineer who has that case raised a very good question that doesn't appear to have been answered: "Did you install SQL 2000 or MSDE?" If you've installed MSDE on either box, replication isn't going to work no matter what.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a008014f8e8.shtml

The above link shows you how to check your sql version.

adam

Yes, as the installation guide cleary states Unity failover was installed using sql2000.

Did you ever get this problem resolved?

I am having the same issue.

Thanks

Frank

Just in case anyone is interested, the fix to my problem was to add host and lmhost entries to both my unity servers. I do not know why this is the case, both of my servers were able to resolve via dns & they are also on the same broadcast domain.

I recently (yesterday) ran into a *very* similar problem trying to enable failover for a customer. The FOW would complete "successfully", however no SQL replication would be setup on either box. After doing some digging and investigating an interesting SQL startup error, I found my problem, yours may well have been very similar.

Proper replication between two SQL servers depends on proper authentication. The two machines both were statically registered in my customer's DNS, including a suffix domain. I verified this by doing a "ping -a x.x.x.x". However, neither machine had it's primary domain suffix configured on the boxes themselves. This is caused a problem with creation of correct SPN's in their Active Directory, preventing Kerberos credential sharing.. This will cause a problem with the SQL authentication necessary to establish replication, which I'm assuming in turn breaks some of the things the failover wizard is supposed to enable. Long string of events, but there it is. Bottom line, the machine's domain suffix needed to match what is configured in DNS, and then I needed to rerun FOW. If you want more information about some of the root cause stuff, this is a fun read: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=811889

A good test that I intend to do from now on *before* I run the FOW is to run SQL Enterprise manager on the primary, and try to add the failover server's SQL instance via machine name only (no DNS suffix, and should be able to select it from the offered SPN list) and use "Windows credentials for authentication". Then do the reverse procedure from the secondary. If either of these fails, you have some sort of authentication problem that needs to be solved before running FOW.

I honestly think this check should be integrated into FOW or made part of the failover configuration procedure.

Installing Unity 4.0(4) failover and I encountered the same problem this thread describes. Unfortunately, the Failover Wizard gave no indicators of errors occurred. Our secondary server's domain suffix was incorrectly configured as fn3247 describes. Upon fixing that, a re-run of the failover wizard seems to have fixed SQL replication.

Perhaps this can be added to Unity troubleshooting docs or the failover wizard's checks.

kevinparker
Level 1
Level 1

Here are the steps that I found to work to resolve this issue.

Failover Configuration Wizard on the Secondary fails to complete on Windows

2003 (WS03). A popup is produced and states:

"Failed to remove Cisco Unity objects that are associated with the secondary server from the Directory.

DETAILED INFORMATION:

Method IAvRdbConnection::Initialize()returned[0x80048807]:"

Conditions:

Environment - Unity 4.0(4) on a Windows 2003 server with failover

Workaround:

In SQL Server Enterprise Manager delete the "(local) (Windows NT)" SQL Server Registration. Create a new SQL server registration that is associated with the server.

1. Open SQL Server Enterprise Manager on the Secondary Server.

2. Expand the tree to the SQL server (it should be labeled as (local) (Windows

NT)

3. Right-click and select "Delete SQL Server Registration"

4. Verify that the Server Registion is deleted.

5. Select and right-click SQL Server Group.

6. Select "New SQL Server Registration"

7. Choose the that is associated with the current server.

8. Select defaults.

9. Repeat for Primary Server.

10. Reboot the Primary and Secondary Server.

11. Rerun Failover Configuration Wizard on the Secondary Server per documentation.

Hi Guys, we have the same error on Unity 5 with exchange on secondary box. During failover configuration wizard on secondary we get an error: 'unity was unable to connect to sql datastore - refer to link in app log'. We have tried the above workaround but did not work.

App log reports failover wizard was unable to connect to datastore.We are selecting the Unitymsgstore account (defualt) during the FOCW. Any suggestions appreciated...Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Did you find a solution for your issue? I have the exact same message during initial failover wizard.

Thank you.

Yorick

FYI:

I simply added the entry of both unity servers into hosts file of Windows. I don't know why without them, SQL connection was unable to be established because the DNS entries are good...

Yorick,

I do both host and lmhost files before running the wizard. I can only think I must have done a rebuild.

I just ran into this exact same issue where failover completes on the primary, but throws an error on the f/o. I added the entries into the hosts file, and it came right up.