cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Storage relocation from SAN to DAS

bkhanal1971
Level 3
Level 3

I use SAN as storage for my two CUCM 8.6 and one CUXN 8.6 servers all running on ESXi 5.1. We are planning to eliminate san in the near future so i will need to move the CUCM and CUXN data off of san to das.

I was told that i can do storage vmotion to move the data but i want to make sure it is the way to go or if there are other better options. It looks more like vmware question but i would appreciate if someone could provide the steps required to perform the move. Is there any down time during the move? Any potential issues i should be aware of? I have purchased 18x146gb cisco supported hdds for 2 ucs c210 servers.

Any help would be a great help!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 Reply 1

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Storage vMotion

NOTE: support varies by app and version. Before reading the best practices below, verify support at Supported Editions and Features of VMware vSphere ESXi, VMware vCenter and VMware vSphere Client.

This “customer convenience” feature provides easy migration of a live system from one SAN to another SAN. For UC apps, an easier suggested alternative is to just perform manual VM shutdown and migration to the new SAN. However, if Storage vMotion must be used, it is only under the following conditions:

• Requires SAN storage.
  • May only be done during a maintenance window with UC VMs shut down.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_VMware_Requirements#Storage_vMotion

Tables above that in the same link provide info of support per app

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate