Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stream Files folder WAVs vanished at time of Dirt backup

Hi, Have a odd problem that happened and not sure how.

Unity 4.0(4) SR1 with dirt backup 1.0 build 112 at time, now upgraded to 1.0 build 122.

The backup succedded fine at it's scheduled run time of 11:30pm but the WAV files in the \commserver\stream files folder all went away. At 11:31pm the same night the folder was re-created and there was 1 WAV file in it only for all subscribers PDL. All the rest were missing.

Nothing in dirt backup log or event log suggests anything that went wrong, and no one is aware of anyone in system at the time.

Anyone seen anything like this before? Luckily they had a backup of the folder so we were able to copy most of the WAV files back and had to update a few.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Stream Files folder WAVs vanished at time of Dirt backup

I'm used to DiRT being accused of all kinds of interesting things from destroying domain controllers to frightening small children to destabalizing small democracies around the world... but this is new.

DiRT backup wouldn't be able to delete your streams folder unless you really worked hard at it. Presumably the Dirt backup itself included a full backup of the streams folder? This is just doing a copy of the folder using the Windows file system object - there's no possibility of it accidentally deleting the folder. As such you wont find anything in the logs since it's impossible for it to have removed the files on its own.

The only thing DiRT backup does that involves deleting files is tied around the "two hop" backup - if you're doing a two stage backup it removes the temporary files on the local HD after copying it to the remote destination. If you're using two hop backup I suppose it's worth checking into - you'd have to have stored the local backup in a directory one up from your streamfiles folder (i.e. in \commserver) I suppose for this to have had any possibility of happening.

Two-hop is not being used. This was just odd and apparently no one was doing anything at the time. Thanks for the reply. I did find a folder under \commserver called "StreamFilesStreamFiles" from time of the install with nothing in it that i removed. Will keep a eye on it.

Cisco Employee

The StreamFilesStreamFiles thing sounds like an old bug with the restore app (this was fixed a while ago) - the backup wouldn't cause this, however.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content