callers call in and hit the Unity customer configured "closed" call handler. They hit a subscriber extension to transfer. The call goes straight to the users voicemail instead of ringing the extension. The subscriber transfer setting is set to ring phone. Any reason why this is happening? Unity version is 3.1(3)
So callers are coming into the opening greeting (or closed greeting handler or whatever) and then dial the extension number of a subscriber directly, right?
if the subscriber is configured to transfer calls to a number it should always do that regardless of what time it is - the schedule associated with the opening greeting in this case does not have any bearing on this behavior.
If this works properly during the day (does it?) but not at night I would suspect the problem is external to Unity.
Could it be that the call is being released to the phone and then forwarding right back to Unity such that it sounds like Unity isn't even releasing the call? I've seen this type of thing before.
You can check this by opening up the Call Viewer application which you'll find in the Tools Depot on your desktop - do a test call and see if you actually see two seperate calls - one when you hit the opening call handler and another when you dial the extension of a subscriber you're having trouble with.
From my understanding of whatmy customer explained, you are correct in your analysis. I will take a look at call viewer while it's happening. What, outside of Unity, could be causing this? The line settings on CCM do not forward all to voicemail or anything like that.
I am having the same issue, when i get the after hours message and then dial someone's extension it directly plays their greeting instead of ringing the phone and giving them a chance to answer the phone. I know that under "Caller Input" for a call handler you can say "attempt transfer for" or "send to greeting" but when I just dial the digits while Unity is playing there needs to be a system setting that does this differently?
Under subscribers and call transfer I do have it set to ring the phone, is there anything else that needs to be changed?
I managed to kind of fix this issue. Turns out if you go the option " Yes ring subscriber at this number" and put in manually the same extension that you put in " Ring subscriber extension" it works!!!.
I have 10 phones that are exhibiting the same behavior. If I keep the "Ring subscriber extension" then it goes to VM directly but if I manually enter the extension in " yes ring subscriber at this number" then it transfer's to their phone perfectly.
Is there some kind of bug associated with this?
Also just to add if I go back and select back the Ring subscriber's extension" which was what it was before it works in that case too, this is really bizzare behavior, is almost toggling it between the settinfs fixed this issue.
I've noticed similar behavior before--especially when using the Bulk Import Tool. Here's what happens. I'll add a bunch of users through csv bulk import. The template I use sets Call Transfer to "Yes, ring subscribers extension." After the import, from within Unity, anything pointing to those subscribers goes directly to their greeting without ringing the phone. I noticed that, on the call transfer page for these subscribers, the option "Yes, ring subscriber at this number" (3rd radio button choice) is blank. But this shouldn't make a difference anyway.
If I set Call Transfer to "No", save the changes, and then set the radio button back to "Yes, ring subscriber's extension" and save that change, the field next to "Yes, ring subscriber at this number" is filled in with a greyed out version of their extension. Then things work as expected.
This looks to me to be some kind of bug. Thank God for the bulk edit tool which lets me do the import and then bulk edit to change "enable transfer" to False, and then do another edit to set it to true.
After that everyone works. I've seen this behavior on Unity up through 4.03sr1.
Good to know that bulk edit helped, the third option is only to over ride the extension of the subscriber with some other extension that you want the call to be transferred to through Unity, the second option should work but it doesn't in certain cases. I have heard now that this issue existed as early as Unity 3.1 version.
I have opened a TAC case to see if they can catch this and open a bug.
I opened a case with TAC, they were not able to reproduce this issue with 4.0(3)SR1. They said that it should have been fixed in that version, I am running 4.0(3) so that might be why this might be happenning. Here are the bug details in case anyone is interested in looking at it