Views
Helpful
Replies

T.37 Faxing from Desktop

muranskycotech
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings!

I'm in the process of implementing a T.37-based faxing solution called facsBridge T37FSP, but I seem to be missing something-- I'm guessing with my dial-peers.

Essentially, it uses Windows Fax and Scan on the desktop (among other options) and connects to a Windows Fax Server which then routes through the Cisco IOS gateway, etc. It was easy to install and configure for outbound faxing, but I'm hitting a snag with the error: 554 5.3.0 An unknown error occurred.

I tried to lookup this error, but the only reference I've found for it was on a document suggesting it was a problem accessing a valid line to call out on. Ideally, I want my dial-peer to use a channel on my PRI for in-bound/out-bound calls, so that's what I've set it up for... I think.

I'm posting my T37FSP log and my configuration on the 2821 router to see if someone can take a look and tell me what I'm missing. I've also reached out to the software vendor for assistance, but figured I'd try my luck here while I wait.

I appreciate any assistance provided!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nah, you need to get off MGCP if you want to use T.37.  You can see the issue here:

Outbound dial-peer match:

1008352: Nov 15 12:39:54.859: //-1/xxxxxxxxxxxx/CCAPI/ccIFCallSetupRequestPrivate:
   Interface=0x49EECA58, Interface Type=6, Destination=, Mode=0x0,
   Call Params(Calling Number=,(Calling Name=)(TON=Unknown, NPI=Unknown, Screening=User, Passed, Presentation=Allowed),
   Called Number=1234567890(TON=Unknown, NPI=ISDN), Calling Translated=FALSE,
   Subscriber Type Str=, FinalDestinationFlag=TRUE, Outgoing Dial-peer=1, Call Count On=FALSE,
   Source Trkgrp Route Label=, Target Trkgrp Route Label=, tg_label_flag=0, Application Call Id=)
1008353: Nov 15 12:39:54.859: //-1/xxxxxxxxxxxx/CCAPI/cc_get_feature_vsa:

And it throws the error that it isn't able to use that PRI resource here:
1008364: Nov 15 12:39:54.859: %VOICE_IEC-3-GW: CCAPI: Internal Error (Resource busy): IEC=1.1.181.1.25.114 on callID -1

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Felipe Garrido
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you make a test fax and collect the following debug output?

debug voip ccapi inout
debug voip vtsp all
debug fax foip all
debug fax mta all
debug fax fmsp send t30
debug fax fmsp receive t30   
debug fax mspi all
debug fax dmsp default

please note the called number.

-Felipe

OK, per your suggestion, I ran the following:

conf t
service timestamps debug datetime local msec
service timestamps log datetime local msec
service sequence
no logging console
no logging monitor
no logging rate-limit
no logging queue-limit
logging buffer 3000000 debug
end
debug voip ccapi inout
debug voip vtsp all
debug fax foip all
debug fax mta all
debug fax fmsp send t30
debug fax mspi all
debug fax dmsp default
clear logg

<>

Term len 0
Show ver
Show run
Show diag
Show debug
Show logg
Term def len

I've attached the session log, for review, but this is what I believe is the relevant details...

1008359: Nov 15 12:39:54.859: //-1/xxxxxxxxxxxx/VTSP:():-1:-1:-1/vtsp_call_setup_request: 
   CALL_ERROR_INFORMATIONAL; B-Channel Is Not Set
   Call Id=36487
1008360: Nov 15 12:39:54.859: //-1/xxxxxxxxxxxx/CCAPI/cc_free_feature_vsa:

1008361: Nov 15 12:39:54.859: :cc_free_feature_vsa freeing 4DA45A50
1008362: Nov 15 12:39:54.859: //-1/xxxxxxxxxxxx/CCAPI/cc_free_feature_vsa:

1008363: Nov 15 12:39:54.859:  vsacount in free is 9
1008364: Nov 15 12:39:54.859: %VOICE_IEC-3-GW: CCAPI: Internal Error (Resource busy): IEC=1.1.181.1.25.114 on callID -1
1008365: Nov 15 12:39:54.859: //36486/311E7BCD8E8E/FOIP_OFF/loffSetupPeer:
   Go To Next Peer; Return Code=-5
1008366: Nov 15 12:39:54.859: //36486/311E7BCD8E8E/FOIP_OFF/loffSetupPeer:
   CALL_ERROR; Call Setup Request Is Failed; Return Code=-5

Destination number is 1234567890... I anonymized the number for privacy, but the rest of the log is unchanged.

I'm hoping that the other post about not supporting MGCP  isn't playing a factor here, but I'm open to suggestions if it is...  being new to all of this, I'm not quite sure how I'd make such a  transition without disrupting my existing services.

I appreciate your time and advice,

Aaron

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can't use T.37 on an MGCP gateway.

Restrictions for Configuring T.37 Store-and-Forward Fax

Restrictions for store-and-forward fax are as follows:

T.37 Store-and-forward fax is not supported on MGCP networks.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/fax/configuration/guide/vf_t37_str-fwd_fax_ps6441_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

Switch to H.323 or SIP if you want to get this to work.  Or get a standalone T.38 fax server.  If you still have issues on H323, collect:

debug voip ccapi inout
debug voip vtsp all
debug fax foip all
debug fax mta all
debug fax fmsp send t30
debug fax mspi all
debug fax dmsp default

debug fax relay t30 all

Thanks for the response. I posted a follow-up to Felipe above with some additional logs and debugs.

I'm hoping that the MGCP won't necessarily play a factor on this part, but if I need to enable or change functionality I'm not opposed as long as I can get clear guidance on what/how to proceed without disrupting my existing services. I'm pretty new with all this, so I appreciate any guidance you may offer.

Regards,

Aaron

Nah, you need to get off MGCP if you want to use T.37.  You can see the issue here:

Outbound dial-peer match:

1008352: Nov 15 12:39:54.859: //-1/xxxxxxxxxxxx/CCAPI/ccIFCallSetupRequestPrivate:
   Interface=0x49EECA58, Interface Type=6, Destination=, Mode=0x0,
   Call Params(Calling Number=,(Calling Name=)(TON=Unknown, NPI=Unknown, Screening=User, Passed, Presentation=Allowed),
   Called Number=1234567890(TON=Unknown, NPI=ISDN), Calling Translated=FALSE,
   Subscriber Type Str=, FinalDestinationFlag=TRUE, Outgoing Dial-peer=1, Call Count On=FALSE,
   Source Trkgrp Route Label=, Target Trkgrp Route Label=, tg_label_flag=0, Application Call Id=)
1008353: Nov 15 12:39:54.859: //-1/xxxxxxxxxxxx/CCAPI/cc_get_feature_vsa:

And it throws the error that it isn't able to use that PRI resource here:

Alright, sounds like a plan. I've got CUCMBE 7.1.5 tied to this 2821 gateway. What's the best way to proceed with what you're suggesting without taking my whole system down? This is currently beyond my scope of knowledge with this system...

You're going to require some downtime to bring the controller down and re-add the pri-group without MGCPAPP.  Even if you know what you're doing you'll need to have a couple minutes where in/outbound calls will be down.

You'll also need to change your route groups to reflect the new gateway instance.

I'd recommend checking out this link below, and configuring an H323 gateway in your lab so you can understand the concepts.  And do the change after hours.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080094636.shtml

OK, so if I've got this... I should be able to add my 2821 as an H.323 Gateway instead of Cisco 2821 gateway in UCM... and then just configure my route groups as they are now. That sounds simple enough, and yes, I can do this after hours.

From that point, you seem to suggest that the rest of my T.37 setup should work just fine, correct?

You also need to create dial-peers in the gateway to point to your CM node, and you need to shut the controller and voice-port down, remove the  l3 isdn binding, remove the PRI group, and re-add a pri-group without 'service mgcp'.

I haven't looked at your configuration to make sure all of the T.37 commands are in there, but if they are, then yeah, at that point it should work.  Also note that one of the commands requires a reload of the gateway, so if you haven't done that yet, then you will want to do that after hours, too.

I believe that most of those settings were added automatically by UCM, so I believe removing the existing gateway will clean those up, but I will confirm when I make this change.

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it!

It won't clean those up.  There is no config server for H323.  You need to manually remove all of the MGCP related config with 'no.'

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: