Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

TRAP configuration during Failover in Unity 4.05

Perhaps I misunderstood but do the release notes for Unity 4.05 not state that when the unity server has failed over, the users TRAP configuration in the media master control will be updated to the failover server? We had a failover this morning and the URL continued to work when pointing to the primary server/ciscopca from the desktop, but when the user selected a message to play back using the MMC in ciscopca, they got an error. I went into the options>phone record and playback settings and updtaed the IP to the secondary server, and it worked fine.

Obviously, this was one of the selling points to the executive to upgrade to 4.05 - did I misunderstand or (assumably) do I have bigger problems?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES

Re: TRAP configuration during Failover in Unity 4.05

What happens if the user browses to the Cisco PCA on the Secondary server during a failover? From the 4.0(5) RN:

Cisco Unity administrators no longer need to ask subscribers to update their server settings during failover. The Media Master will be set up to call the failover server automatically when subscribers browse to the Cisco PCA on the **secondary server.**

Ok, its been a while since I worked with the MMC settings for failover but the user only has one option to configure what server/extension the MMC points to, and they have it configured to point to the primary server. When the server goes into failover, the user still goes to the primary ciscopca webpage, and it works great. But when they try to use the MMC in ciscopca, the servername was still set to the primary servername - is that not supposed to get updated also in such a way that unity knows to ring back the failover server when in failover?

I guess I find this a bit confusing because if a user no longer has to update their settings during failover as stated above, then why would they have to browse to the secondary server during failover? My understanding was that they could point to the primary server always (which seems to work) but re-reading the release notes, I think perhaps I went too far - they still have to repoint to the secondary server which means if a failover happens, a communication still has to go out to the users who use ciscopca (as well as stating the server has gone into failover which is also a touchy subject with the customer).

Is there any documentation that explains exactly how this works other than in the release notes and 4.05 admin guide? Thanks very much.

You re-read correctly. As long as the user browses to the Active server, their TRaP settings will get updated appropriately. There will need to be communication to end users that a failover has occurred.

I browsed through our tech notes and don't believe there is any more documentation on this subject. At this time, we do not have a way to redirect users to the active server.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content