Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Highlighted

Trouble starting RTMT on windows 7 x64

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I was having this issue on

I was having this issue on VMware Fusion, and disabling my shared folders fixed this immediately.  Thanks for the tip!

-Brian 

This might be late but i just

This might be late but i just figured the issue out. If you are sharing your desktop, it results in the issue. You can share all other folder but your desktop between your VM's and PC/MAC and you will be fine.

23 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

have you tried downloading the latest client from the CUCM plugins

Yes ,  since win7 have you tried run as administrator on the exe file.

Yes, do you have any other systems that exhibit this..

Anything in the event viewer logs that would point to.

Also the system is in a domain or a workgroup. If in a domain, the dc security policies could prevent something like this.

Hope this helps

I am having the same issues about would like to see a fix for this.

This might be late but i just

This might be late but i just figured the issue out. If you are sharing your desktop, it results in the issue. You can share all other folder but your desktop between your VM's and PC/MAC and you will be fine.

highfives for brianmaddox and

highfives for brianmaddox and Bobdol!

Running RTMT on a win 7 box via VMWare Fusion here...

Disabling desktop sharing fixed my instance of this issue.

Sorry I never updated this post when I solved it.

I found out that it's a problem with Java 7 and RTMT.  What worked for me is uninstalling all versions of Java 7 and installing Java 6u45 available from the java archive.

Keep in mind that Java 6 is currently end-of-life and easily exploitable, so I installed it on a virtualbox machine that basically only gets used to run RTMT.

Hope this helps

if you using JAVA 7, copy

if you using JAVA 7, copy folder java jre7 into folder rtmt > jre

and open run.bat with notepad changes like this --> ".\jre\jre7\bin\java"

save & re-open run.bat

reminder to allowing modify folder access administrator (uncheck read-only on properties)

Regards, Habibi
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Guys, I have this problem as

Guys,

I have this problem as well, with the same error as posted by original posted. I tried Java 6u65, Java 7, etc.  Any idea what is missing?

Chris

Chris,Cisco tools generally

Chris,

Cisco tools generally install a working version of the JRE in a subdirectory of the installed application.  You can check which versions are installed for which applications using this process:

1. Open "Java" in Windows Control Panel
  2. Click "Java" tab
  3. Click "View..."
  4. Click "Find"
  5. Click "Next"
  6. Choose to Look in C:\, and click "Next"
  7. Wait for a while, then click "Finish"

You should now have a list of various installed Java Runtimes. Can you verify your RTMT version number and related Java version number? I have the following installed and working on Windows 7 x64:

RTMT 8.91 using Java 1.6.0_15 (as installed by RTMT 8.91)

RTMT 8.5 using Java 1.6.0_01 (as installed by RTMT 8.5)

I would recommend taking a look at the "Advanced" tab of the Java Control Panel as well, you may have something turned on/off there which is preventing RTMT from running. Here's my working Advanced configuration for reference:

-Jameson

-Jameson

Thank you Jameson, I verified

Thank you Jameson, I verified my settings to be the same, currently I have Java 6u45 loaded and RTMT 9.1, and get the following error:

C:\Applications\JRtmt\RTMT9>run.bat

C:\Applications\JRtmt\RTMT9>".\jre\bin\java" -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Xbootclassp
ath/a:.;.\lib\xerces.jar;.\lib\log4j.jar;.\lib\jcchart450J.jar;.\lib\collections
.jar;.\lib\JbcBeans.jar;.\lib\activation.jar;.\lib\axis.jar;.\lib\axis-ant.jar;.
\lib\commons-discovery.jar;.\lib\commons-io-1.3.2.jar;.\lib\commons-logging.jar;
.\lib\commons-lang-2.1.jar;.\lib\commons-net.jar;.\lib\ifxjdbc.jar;.\lib\mail.ja
r;.\lib\jsch-0.1.44.jar;.\lib\commons-codec.jar;.\lib\jaxrpc.jar;.\lib\saaj.jar;
.\tzupdater.jar;.\lib\jide-common.jar;.\lib\jide-dialogs.jar;.\lib\jide-grids.ja
r;.\lib\wsdl4j.jar;.\lib\javacsv.jar;.\lib\jtds.jar;.\lib\commons-beanutils.jar;
.\lib\commons-collections.jar;.\lib\commons-digester.jar;.\lib\commons-el.jar;.\
lib\commons-jexl.jar;.\lib\commons-scxml.jar;.\lib\derby.jar;.\lib\xalan.jar;.\l
ib\openssoclientsdk.jar -jar JRtmt.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.cisco.ccm.serviceability.rtmt.ui.SystemUtil.getLog4jConf(Unknown
Source)
        at com.cisco.ccm.serviceability.rtmt.ui.JRtmtMain.initTrace(Unknown Sour
ce)
        at com.cisco.ccm.serviceability.rtmt.ui.JRtmtMain.main(Unknown Source)

Chris

Looks like it may be an issue

Looks like it may be an issue in the log4j library... apparently it's known to be unreliable:

https://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#a1.1

Probably RTMT is having some issue writing to the "log" directory in the install dir. Can you check the permissions on that directory? Perhaps run your command prompt as an admin if you are able, and try the run.bat again to get around any permissions issues?

-Jameson

-Jameson

Are you referring to the log

Are you referring to the log directory under the jrtmt folder? I gave it full control permission and I am logged in as an admin and still issue persists.

Chris

Silver

Hey Chris,I am not sure if it

Hey Chris,

I am not sure if it helps but I am running RTMT 9.1 with Java version 7u67 on a 64 Bit Win 7 OS.  I have no issues running RTMT however I do have to run it as an admin in order to collect any trace files or basically save anything to my local machine.

Hope this helps

Tony

Please rate helpful posts

Thanks, Tony Please rate helpful posts!

Yes, that's the one.I admit,

Yes, that's the one.

I admit, I'm a little stumped on this one. Perhaps do a full uninstall of RTMT, make sure the install directory is fully removed, and install again ensuring you run the install as Admin? I've seen some other Cisco software act strangely if you don't explicitly choose "Run as Admin" on the installer.

Another possibility would be to try running RTMT as a different user, perhaps it's something with your Windows login. Shift-right click on the program will allow you to provide different credentials.

-Jameson

-Jameson

Here is where I am at, I

Here is where I am at, I tried this on 3 different virtual machines (I should have stated this is on VMware).  I finally got one to work on vmware fusion by disabling folder sharing between the host and guest, another VM is a VDI from a customer which does not have any folder sharing, and I've tried installing and unsintalling both different versions of Java and RTMT with no success, so I wonder if there is something else besides Java on virtual machine that causes a conflict. Thanks guys for jumping on this, +5 to each of you for good suggestions.

Chris

I was having this issue on

I was having this issue on VMware Fusion, and disabling my shared folders fixed this immediately.  Thanks for the tip!

-Brian 

Glad it worked for you as

Glad it worked for you as well.  Please rate all useful posts.

Chris

Just make sure when download

Just make sure when download the RTMT Pluging your browser is not renaming the file like:

CcmServRtmtPlugin(1).exe

The "()" is the one causing the problem.

Good luck

I'm sorry, but I don't think

I'm sorry, but I don't think that was the issue that you were facing.

More likely that your downloader wasn't downloading the file correctly. 

Changing the name of a binary like an .exe file doesn't change what that binary does when executed.  To illustrate this you can create a .bat file with the name helloworld.bat and copy this into it:

echo "Hello World" > "%userprofile%\desktop\Hello World.txt"

Save and run your new .bat file.  It should create the Hello World.txt text document on your desktop with the words "Hello World" inside.

Renaming your .bat file to whatever you want won't change what it does. (As long as you keep the .bat file extension)  To test it make sure you delete the 'Hello World.txt" file on your desktop so that you know when a new one is created.

I'm not saying renaming a

I'm not saying renaming a file will change the way programs behaves. (actually you can create a program that checks for its name and change its behavior based on that).

I'm saying I was having the same problem as described, in my case running Windows 8 (64bits) and Java 1.7 and the way I fixed it was removing "()" from the file name. I can replicate the problem just by simply renaming the file back to "CcmServRtmtPlugin(1).exe".

CcmServRtmtPlugin.exe Its a self-extracting file that calls Java as part of the installation process passing paths and file names for Java to execute. It looks like Java doesn't like "()" to be passed as an argument, at lease under my OS/Java version.

I think if you are having this problem it is worth trying this solution.

Thanks for your reply.

Just wanted to update this

Just wanted to update this for people still running into this.  I've been stumped by this for a while and couldn't figure out what it was.  I'm running Fusion 8 with both Win7 and Win10 VM's.  Any plugin (RTMT, CCXEditor, etc.) would fail to install.  Disabling shared folders did not fix the issue.  I had to both:

1. Move the files directly to C:\Temp (not Users\Documents) AND

2. Change the file to run in Win7 Compatibility mode as Administrator

Doing both of these I was able to keep Shared Folders enabled and install fine in Windows 10. 

Hope this helps someone else. 

Hi Mike. Which RTMT version

Hi Mike. Which RTMT version were you installing on Windows 10? I've been looking online to try and see which RTMT version(s) are supported on it.

Cisco Employee

It appears that RTMT is still

It appears that RTMT is still not supported on Windows 10

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/service/11_0_1/RTMT/CUCM_BK_CC660A6B_00_cisco-unified-rtmt-administration-1101/CUCM_BK_CC660A6B_00_cisco-unified-rtmt-administration-1101_chapter_01.html#CUCM_RF_O5664E1B_00

Manish

Re: Trouble starting RTMT on windows 7 x64

Hi Team

I installed the RTMT on my colleague's laptop. when trying to open it with his account it doens't open. When I tried "run as" and put my account (Local Admin) it worked. I tried giving him full control over the folders in the RTMT under Cisco in Program Files, but still didn't work.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Ali Alqwasmi

Views
Helpful
Replies