Helpful
Replies

Trouble starting RTMT on windows 7 x64

John Richardson
Level 1
Level 1
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I was having this issue on VMware Fusion, and disabling my shared folders fixed this immediately.  Thanks for the tip!

-Brian 

View solution in original post

This might be late but i just figured the issue out. If you are sharing your desktop, it results in the issue. You can share all other folder but your desktop between your VM's and PC/MAC and you will be fine.

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23

nikshah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

have you tried downloading the latest client from the CUCM plugins

Yes ,  since win7 have you tried run as administrator on the exe file.

Yes, do you have any other systems that exhibit this..

Anything in the event viewer logs that would point to.

Also the system is in a domain or a workgroup. If in a domain, the dc security policies could prevent something like this.

Hope this helps

jcarr
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same issues about would like to see a fix for this.

This might be late but i just figured the issue out. If you are sharing your desktop, it results in the issue. You can share all other folder but your desktop between your VM's and PC/MAC and you will be fine.

highfives for brianmaddox and Bobdol!

Running RTMT on a win 7 box via VMWare Fusion here...

Disabling desktop sharing fixed my instance of this issue.

John Richardson
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry I never updated this post when I solved it.

I found out that it's a problem with Java 7 and RTMT.  What worked for me is uninstalling all versions of Java 7 and installing Java 6u45 available from the java archive.

Keep in mind that Java 6 is currently end-of-life and easily exploitable, so I installed it on a virtualbox machine that basically only gets used to run RTMT.

Hope this helps

if you using JAVA 7, copy folder java jre7 into folder rtmt > jre

and open run.bat with notepad changes like this --> ".\jre\jre7\bin\java"

save & re-open run.bat

reminder to allowing modify folder access administrator (uncheck read-only on properties)

Regards, Habibi

Guys,

I have this problem as well, with the same error as posted by original posted. I tried Java 6u65, Java 7, etc.  Any idea what is missing?

Chris

Chris,

Cisco tools generally install a working version of the JRE in a subdirectory of the installed application.  You can check which versions are installed for which applications using this process:

1. Open "Java" in Windows Control Panel
  2. Click "Java" tab
  3. Click "View..."
  4. Click "Find"
  5. Click "Next"
  6. Choose to Look in C:\, and click "Next"
  7. Wait for a while, then click "Finish"

You should now have a list of various installed Java Runtimes. Can you verify your RTMT version number and related Java version number? I have the following installed and working on Windows 7 x64:

RTMT 8.91 using Java 1.6.0_15 (as installed by RTMT 8.91)

RTMT 8.5 using Java 1.6.0_01 (as installed by RTMT 8.5)

I would recommend taking a look at the "Advanced" tab of the Java Control Panel as well, you may have something turned on/off there which is preventing RTMT from running. Here's my working Advanced configuration for reference:

-Jameson

-Jameson

Thank you Jameson, I verified my settings to be the same, currently I have Java 6u45 loaded and RTMT 9.1, and get the following error:

C:\Applications\JRtmt\RTMT9>run.bat

C:\Applications\JRtmt\RTMT9>".\jre\bin\java" -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Xbootclassp
ath/a:.;.\lib\xerces.jar;.\lib\log4j.jar;.\lib\jcchart450J.jar;.\lib\collections
.jar;.\lib\JbcBeans.jar;.\lib\activation.jar;.\lib\axis.jar;.\lib\axis-ant.jar;.
\lib\commons-discovery.jar;.\lib\commons-io-1.3.2.jar;.\lib\commons-logging.jar;
.\lib\commons-lang-2.1.jar;.\lib\commons-net.jar;.\lib\ifxjdbc.jar;.\lib\mail.ja
r;.\lib\jsch-0.1.44.jar;.\lib\commons-codec.jar;.\lib\jaxrpc.jar;.\lib\saaj.jar;
.\tzupdater.jar;.\lib\jide-common.jar;.\lib\jide-dialogs.jar;.\lib\jide-grids.ja
r;.\lib\wsdl4j.jar;.\lib\javacsv.jar;.\lib\jtds.jar;.\lib\commons-beanutils.jar;
.\lib\commons-collections.jar;.\lib\commons-digester.jar;.\lib\commons-el.jar;.\
lib\commons-jexl.jar;.\lib\commons-scxml.jar;.\lib\derby.jar;.\lib\xalan.jar;.\l
ib\openssoclientsdk.jar -jar JRtmt.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.cisco.ccm.serviceability.rtmt.ui.SystemUtil.getLog4jConf(Unknown
Source)
        at com.cisco.ccm.serviceability.rtmt.ui.JRtmtMain.initTrace(Unknown Sour
ce)
        at com.cisco.ccm.serviceability.rtmt.ui.JRtmtMain.main(Unknown Source)

Chris

Looks like it may be an issue in the log4j library... apparently it's known to be unreliable:

https://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#a1.1

Probably RTMT is having some issue writing to the "log" directory in the install dir. Can you check the permissions on that directory? Perhaps run your command prompt as an admin if you are able, and try the run.bat again to get around any permissions issues?

-Jameson

-Jameson

Are you referring to the log directory under the jrtmt folder? I gave it full control permission and I am logged in as an admin and still issue persists.

Chris

Hey Chris,

I am not sure if it helps but I am running RTMT 9.1 with Java version 7u67 on a 64 Bit Win 7 OS.  I have no issues running RTMT however I do have to run it as an admin in order to collect any trace files or basically save anything to my local machine.

Hope this helps

Tony

Please rate helpful posts

Please rate helpful posts
Thanks,
Tony

Yes, that's the one.

I admit, I'm a little stumped on this one. Perhaps do a full uninstall of RTMT, make sure the install directory is fully removed, and install again ensuring you run the install as Admin? I've seen some other Cisco software act strangely if you don't explicitly choose "Run as Admin" on the installer.

Another possibility would be to try running RTMT as a different user, perhaps it's something with your Windows login. Shift-right click on the program will allow you to provide different credentials.

-Jameson

-Jameson

Here is where I am at, I tried this on 3 different virtual machines (I should have stated this is on VMware).  I finally got one to work on vmware fusion by disabling folder sharing between the host and guest, another VM is a VDI from a customer which does not have any folder sharing, and I've tried installing and unsintalling both different versions of Java and RTMT with no success, so I wonder if there is something else besides Java on virtual machine that causes a conflict. Thanks guys for jumping on this, +5 to each of you for good suggestions.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: