Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Two Unity 3.1(5) servers with Exchange 5.5 upgrding to one Unity 4.0(3)

Hi,

I have a customer that has 2 sites with Unity 3.1(5) installed with Exchange 5.5 on the back end. They wish to combine both servers and upgrade them to Unity 4.0(3) with Exchange 2003 as the mail store (with both Unity and Exchange on new seperate hardware). Is there a way of doing this easily, or would we have to install Untiy 3.1(5) on the new system, Use DiRT to copy and restore the settings, then Upgrade to Exchange 2003?

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Two Unity 3.1(5) servers with Exchange 5.5 upgrding to one U

This is documented in the new "Cisco Unity Reconfiguration and Upgrade Guide (With Microsoft Exchange)," available at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html

There's no easy way to "merge" multiple Unity installations if that's what you're asking - You'll have to import users by hand on one system or the other.

Hi Jeff,

From looking at the document it looks like I would have to do the following steps:

1. Upgrade one of the Unity 3.1(5) servers to 4.0(3)

2. Backup everything with DiRT and Backup Exec.

3. Install Unity 4.0(3) on my new hardware (seperate server)

4. Restore the DiRT data to the new server

5. Change the Exchange Partner server to the new Exchange 2003 server from the old Exchange 5.5 server.

6. Use the migrate the subscriber's data from the Exchange 5.5 Server to the Exchange 2003 Server.

7. Run the same proceedure again on the second server with the exception of step 3.

Does this sound right?

Many Thanks,

RHockley

Cisco Employee

No, that doesn’t sound quite right…

First, you can install your new 4.0(3) server connected directly to Exchange 2003 and do the import from a backup where it was pointed to 5.5 – there’s no need for step 4 there if I’m understanding what you’re doing.

Next, DiRT will bind to existing accounts for user automatically (if a match is found) or create new users in AD/Exchange (if a match is not found) – so step 6 should not be necessary. Check the DiRT help file for details on how the search process works in the directory – you can get the latest help file off its home page here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_DisasterRecoveryTools.htm

Finally, if the goal is to end up with a single Unity server with all your subscribers on it instead of two separate servers then the last step doesn’t fly – DiRT does not “merge” users from another box – it’s used to migrate entire boxes’ configurations onto a new box. It requires that you run it on a clean install of the same version of Unity that you backed up for this reason. If you wish to move users onto a single box you can upgrade both boxes separately with this procedure (i.e. end up having two Unity 4.0(3) servers with your users on them) and then use the Move Subscriber Data component of the Global Subscriber Manager tool to move one user at a time from one Unity 4.0(3) server to the other and “merge” you boxes that way – this is not a batch operation, however – you’ll have to move each user one at a time. You can check out the help file and training videos for Global Subscriber Manager on it’s home page here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_GSM4x.htm

Views
Helpful
Replies