Helpful
Replies

Unable to email DBwalker results

slc2
Level 1
Level 1

DBwalker version 4.0 build 41

Jeff:

Got the latest Dbwalker, when I try to send a test message using the specified gateway I get this: "error, local IIS install directory could not be found" and no message is delivered. IIS is installed on drive D.

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Doesn't sound like you've configured IIS to send email (by default this is off). dbWalker looks in the registry under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ContentIndex\Catalogs\Web\Location

to pull the root folder that it then adds \Mailroot\pickup\" to so it knows where to drop the email message to be sent out. It then uses the SendUsingPickup method to kick it out. If IIS is not configured to do this then, of course, it wont work. That error message indicates the folder in question for the mail pickup does not exist (it either couldn't find it in the registry or it's not created on the drive where it says it should be).

Either way, dbWalker depends entirely on you providingn either an external SMTP server to use or having IIS setup to do this. Check the MS site for details on setting up the IIS mail pickup functionality.

Correct. IIS is not setup to send mail. I stipulated an external mail gateway. That's why I am wondering why I am getting the error. I used the DNS name and can ping it from the Unity server and telnet to the smtp port.

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

interesting... it shouldn't even go down that line of code to read the registry where that error is shown unless the SMTPGateway or port values are blank. Can you check in the registry under HKLM\Software\Active Voice\dbWalker\

there should be two keys: EmailNotificationsSMTPServer and EmailNotificationsSMTPPort.

Are they set correctly? If not, perhaps the confiuration setup further up stream is not working for some reason (it is on my test server). If it's not correct can you edit the registry directly and try it again? If it is set correctly, I'm not sure how it would be arriving at that error message - unless the resource string DLL is jacked up and it's pulling a bogus message ID out of there.

oh, wait - are you just using the "test" button on the page only or have you also tried doing a real email trigger after running dbWalker?

I think I see a flaw in the logic where it passes (or doesn't pass) the SMTP gateway info on the test button, but it does work on my "real thing" tests.