Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to turn on/off alternate greeting

Hello,

I am using a Cisco 7941 and recently experienced a problem whereby I am unable to turn on/off alternate greeting.

Our Help Desk received this response from Cisco: the issue that is being seen is the exhaustion of MAPI connections for this mailbox. There is a maximum connection limit of 50 per subscriber. This limit is hit, and no further connections are allowed. Unity is not releasing the connection to Exchange, the only way to clear them is to restart the Information Store on the exchange server, or reboot the entire exchange server.

While this solution has not yet been attempted, my question is this: what is causing me to reach/exceed the 50 MAPI connections, and how can I avoid this in future?

As additional background, I work from home 3 days per week, so I use the alternate message to advise callers to call me at my home number, and I generally change the voice message remotely.

3 Replies 3

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sounds like you may be running in to the following defect:

Subscriber not able to toggle between Standard and Alternate greeting

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsg52066

Unfortunately it appears that I cannot follow the link provided:

"Your Cisco Guest Login is not entitled to use Bug Toolkit."

Symptom:

Subscribers are not able to toggle between their standard and alternate greetings. When they attempt to turn on their alternate greeting via the TUI, they are just presented with the conversation they just heard (conversation loop). The alternate greeting is not turned on and the subscriber has no way to do this from the TUI. In the application log, we see the following error:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: CiscoUnity_ConvSubscriber

Event Category: Error

Event ID: 119

Date: 10/27/2006

Time: 1:22:07 PM

User: N/A

Computer: UNITY

Description:

An unexpected error has occured while a subscriber is on the phone with Unity. This can potentially result in the subscriber hearing the failsafe conversation. Technical details are - IAvDohMailbox::UpdateAlternateGreetingRule returned [0x80004005] on line 3414 of file e:\Views\cs_CU4.1.0.59\un_Conv1\Scripted\ConvSub\SubGreetings.cpp.

From the Exchange server, we see the following error:

Severity: Error

Maintenance Mode: False

Domain: XXXXXXX

Computer: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Time Last Modified: 10/27/2006 1:22:10 PM

Resolution State: New

Time in State: 10/23/2006 1:55:30 PM

Problem State: 0

Repeat Count: 44

Name: MAPI session closed due to excessive number of store objects in use.

Source: MSExchangeIS

Ticket Id:

Owner:

Description: Mapi session "/o=ORG/ou=First Administrative

Group/cn=Recipients/cn=Unity_UNITY" exceeded the maximum of 50 objects of type

"objtRulesView".

Conditions:

This issue only occurs with Microsoft Exchange as the message store.

This problem may occur in Unity 4.2(1) and earlier. It is fixed in the latest Unity 4.2(1) ES, and also fixed in Unity 5.0(1) and later.

Workaround:

Restart Exchange information store, or reboot Exchange server. See MS article 830829

OR:

Set the Alternate greeting from SA web. This will require the system admin to manually paste in the alternate greeting if it needs to be changed.

Further Problem Description:

Issue is related to Unity opening too many MAPI sessions with Exchange - specifically with the objtRulesView component. Microsoft has a limit of 50 per client as a security measure. While this limit can be raised, it needs to be increased in increments of 100 (150, 250, etc).

There is a MS article that discusses this - kb 830829

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate