cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unaddressed messages

askq2forum
Level 1
Level 1

we have a customer where for legal purposes cannot allow another subscriber access to someone elses VM - therefore we cannot add subscriber to unaddressed messages. We have changed the default CH so that the after message option is not to take a message but to hangup. Also can we set the eadmin account to have its messages deleted straightaway using message store monitor. Any other suggestions how we can avoid eadmin and the unaddressed messages filling up with messages, can we delete all messages from unaddressed messages?..cheers, Jag

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jag,

No, the distribution list will not fill up if there are no recipients listed, even if EAdmin is the owner of the PDL. I just set it up in the lab and tested when EAdmin was a member of the unaddressedmessages PDL, and the message arrived in the mailbox. I removed it from the PDL and no message was delivered.

Check out the following link for how messages get sent to the unaddressedmessages PDL

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/401/administration/guide/dom/SAG_0180.html

Hope this helps,

Brad

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jaginder,

Yes, you can configure the MSM (Message Store Manager) tool in the Tools Depot to "Move Messages From Inbox to Deleted Items Folder" for the EAdmin account. If you don't want EAdmin to receive these messages at all, you can remove it from the unaddressedmessages distribution list so that there are no recipients.

Hope this helps,

Brad

Brad, thank you so much for your reply. if I remove eadmin from unaddressed messages that will mean unaddresses messages DL will just fill up - is that correct ? Can we delete the messages from this DL?....cheers Jag.

Jag,

No, the distribution list will not fill up if there are no recipients listed, even if EAdmin is the owner of the PDL. I just set it up in the lab and tested when EAdmin was a member of the unaddressedmessages PDL, and the message arrived in the mailbox. I removed it from the PDL and no message was delivered.

Check out the following link for how messages get sent to the unaddressedmessages PDL

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/401/administration/guide/dom/SAG_0180.html

Hope this helps,

Brad

You should and need to have a member of the unaddressedmessages dl. for other reasons. Eadmin can be taken out and add your Unity admin

The main reason is if there is a vm that comes in to that dl, the admin will get it and can forward it to the right subscriber.

It would not be a good idea and not good for business just to delete all those vm.

I would again reccomend taking eadmin out and putting your Unity admin in or another appropriate admin in. You can have more than one also.

Randy

Randy, totally agree with you and all our installs do include someone in the DL to distribute the messages - however this customer has a legal requirement that only the receipient of the VM can receive it and no one else.

Where will the messages end up then?..j

Voice Mail Jail..........:-)

My lab is down right now or I would test this for you. I can not test this is production.

I will try to find out. Interesting question.

Randy

I tested this, and I didn't see the message in UnityMTA or Failed folder... very good question.

I am going to do some Exchange traces in the morning. My guess is exchange is handling it.

Randy

Brad, any further info on this?...cheers, Jaginder

Randy was going to do some testing according to his last post. I haven't had time to do any testing myself.

Sorry I didn't forget just have to get permissision to test in production after hours. It is not going to hurt anything. I will let you all know what I find out.

Randy

I tested with an emty dl in exchange. and by sending an email to it the email address is valid so I did not get an NDR but no one recieves the email.

The same would happen to vm if it was addressed to a dl with no recipieints I am pretty sure.

Randy

Thanks Randy much appreciated - so this shows that the messages will just get stacked up in the DL with no one actioning them...is that right?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: