Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding IMP Server installation - questions

shikamarunara
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I have some experience installing and configuring Cisco Unified Presence (CUPS) and am trying to understand its move to Instant Messaging & Presence (IM&P).  I've heard that IM&P is a part of CUCM now and does not have to be its own server.  I've installed CUCM 10.5 in a lab environment, but can not find any services or settings related to IM&P anywhere.  Is this a feature that is added after the CUCM installation?

Also, in reviewing some Proctorlabs documentation, I understand that IM&P can be its own standalone server.  Is the standalone installed from the CUCM disc with the CUCM ova or with a different ova (like you need for Cisco Unified Connection).  When I do the CUCM installation with CUCM ova, there is no option anywhere for IM&P. 

Any clarification is appreciated.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ndehmer
Level 4
Level 4

I believe that CIM&P is still a stand alone server, but a lot of the End User Management of CIM&P has been moved into CUCM.  Before it was just licensing in CUCM.  But now licensing and all the profile setups are done on CUCM.  Only server specific stuff is really done on CIM&P

View solution in original post

From its own disk.  And it is now tied more closely to CUCM. If you update CUCM Minor or major (9.1 to 9.2 or 9.1 to 10.0) you also need to upgrade CIM&P in lock step.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ndehmer
Level 4
Level 4

I believe that CIM&P is still a stand alone server, but a lot of the End User Management of CIM&P has been moved into CUCM.  Before it was just licensing in CUCM.  But now licensing and all the profile setups are done on CUCM.  Only server specific stuff is really done on CIM&P

Hi ndehmer,

Thanks for the response.  Is the IM&P server installed from its own disc or from the CUCM disc?

From its own disk.  And it is now tied more closely to CUCM. If you update CUCM Minor or major (9.1 to 9.2 or 9.1 to 10.0) you also need to upgrade CIM&P in lock step.

Thank you for the input, ndehmer.  Much obliged.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: