cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unified messaging 4.05 with notes and failover

jones_amy
Level 1
Level 1

My question is on the Notes Client side. When you open up a voicemail in the notes client and see the VCR style page you have the choice to put in your phone number and send it to your phone. My question is can we hide that from the client so their only option is to listen to it from the pc or phone? If not and all the users lets say 400 of them decide this is what they are going to do and I only have 16 ports total for this do I need more ports?

3 Replies 3

mrmccann
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is currently no way to hide this option. However, you can limit the number of ports that can be used for TRaP dialouts by changing the port capabilities in the Manage Integrations (UTIM) tool. If you limit TRaP dialout to say 4 ports, users that try to dialout to their phone to play a message from the Notes client when those 4 ports are in use will receive a message saying that there are no ports available to service the request.

See this document for reference (assumes CallManager but applies to other integrations as well):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_configuration_guide09186a00805f167d.html#wp1812684

Ok thanks for your reply. One more question, If I have 300 Unified messaging users with Notes and they all want to have the ability to trap a call how do I know how many ports to set for trap so they will not get the message that no ports are available.

This depends completely on the usage pattern of your users. How many TRaP sessions are initiated per hour? How long is each TRaP session? If you don't have this information, you may need to run the system for a little while to determine the usage of your TRaP port resources, and then adjust the port capabilities accordingly.

It sounds like you originally wanted to push people towards playing voicemails on their local desktop rather than use TRaP. In which case, perhaps the "No ports are available" message is a good way to push them towards playing back messages locally. If available, most people seem to prefer the VCR control interface, so if you let users know about the options for message playback, and the limitations of using TRaP, hopefully they will not be frustrated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: