cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 3.01 and Exchange 5.5

kiru
Level 1
Level 1

have a customer who called in saying they were not receiving external voicemail messages. He is not sure how long it has been going on for since he had just been back from vacation. He started stopping services on both unity and exchange, and neither would start up. i asked him to do a complete shutdown of both servers and bring it back up. Both exchange and unity started working again, and they were now receiving external voice messages, although he complained it was quite delayed. based on the event logs, what was the possible cause of this?

5 Replies 5

kiru
Level 1
Level 1

here is the exchange log

here is the part of the unity log

8004010F = MAPI_E_NOT_FOUND. A common reason you would get this is if the subscriber can't be resolved when we try to submit the message. Maybe the subscriber was deleted or something like that.

Is the customer really at 3.0(1)? That is really, really, really old code. We have done a ton or work to the UMR to make it more reliable and really they should upgrade to something more recent such as 4.0(4).

Thanks,

Keith

Faisel
Level 1
Level 1

We appear to be having the same problem with Unity 4.0(3) in Unified Messaging mode. Internal callers are able to leave messages no problem. However external PSTN callers are played the subscriber's greeting and appear to be able to leave a message, but the subscriber is then unable to retreive it. The MWI is not switched on either. Not sure where these messages are going. Any Ideas ?

My understanding is that the issue was most likely caused by an Exchange service outage. Whilst the Exchange server is unavailable Voice messages (VMs) are held in the UnityMTA directory on the Unity server. When Exchange is up and running again, VMs that have been left in the interim by identifiable callers i.e. internal subscribers are forwarded to the appropriate user mailbox. However VMs left by external callers and from other unidentifiable sources are retained in the UnityMTA directory. The AvUMRSyncSvr service handles this queue and has to be restarted to release the queued up VMs (which also prevent subsequent external VMs to be held up).

Can anyone verify this behaviour?