Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity 3.1.6 to Unity 4.03 upgrade problem

I just completed a voicemail only unity upgrade from 3.1.6 to 4.03 using the document "Upgrading Cisco Unity 3.x Software to the Shipping Version". With one exception, the upgrade ran without any errors. The one error I got was during the "Converting the Integration with the Phone System to a Cisco Unity Version 4.x Integration" and the error was "Unable to stop service "Remote Access Connection Manager. Error 0x800705b4... timeout period expired". I reboot the system, Unity came up (integration conversion seems to have worked) and I continued with the upgrade steps to setup SSL. I tried using https to get into Unity SA Web Adminitrator and it works but now I'm finding that all of my Unity 3.1.6 users, call handlers, etc. are missing following the upgrade! The only Unity account in SA Web is the Example Administrator. Exchange 2000 still has the accounts present.

Fortunately this is Unity server is in my lab and I am doing a dry run with a test accounts and the demo licenses to work out the bugs in my procedures.

Any ideas what went wrong?

6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Unity 3.1.6 to Unity 4.03 upgrade problem

Sounds like maybe the migration component figured it was a new install instead of an upgrade and wiped out the standing tables - but that's just a guess. You'll want to open a TAC case for this one and provide them with the setup logs and such for review - it'll be impossible for us to guess what may have happened out here...

Found the reason. Put in a service request and TAC said the way the upgrade works it leaves all of the users associated with the prior version. They showed me how to use the "Remove Subscriber Properties" utility tool on all the users that display a LoctionId. The users then have to be imported back into Unity.

But with 3 Unity boxes to upgrade from 3.1.6 to 4.x and 1000+ users on one box and several hundred on each of the others, this is manual process of cleaning up subscriber properties and reimporting user into Unity is a major issue.

Why is such a critical step is not mentioned anywhere in the official Cisco documentation "Upgrading Cisco Unity 3.x Software to the Shipping Version"? How can such a major step not be there?

Enough of the rant - a question: With 1000+ users to import back into Unity, the bulk import tool is what we will use. But gathering the data into a cvs file will be an effort. Since Unity 3.1.6 has all of the correct data before the upgrade, is there anyway to export that info before we upgrade to 4.x and then reuse it for the bulk import tool csv?

Cisco Employee

What?!

Someone is badly confused here.

There is no such requirement and never has been. You can upgrade directly from 3.x to 4.x without having to do this step! I've done it many times.

I don't know if there's more to this story we're not getting or what but this statement is not true. I'm not even sure what "leaves the users associated with the prior version" even means - that makes no sense.

If you upgrade a 3.1(6) box to 4.1 it will update where it stands and there is no need to uninstall users and reimport them. That's never been required from any version other than going from the old 2.x to 3.x because of the change from Exchange to SQL for the directory - but was many years ago.

Either way, someone is badly misinformed or badly confused.

I had trouble believing too - I don't remember having to do that when we went from 2.4.6 to 3.1.6, but the TAC engineer kept telling me that's what I needed to do when I run the production upgrades. I asked him why such a major step was excluded from the upgrade documentation and he couldn't tell me but he said he would talk to someone.

I think I missed something during the lab upgrade that messed things up. I plan to uninstall 4.03 and delete the AD/Exhange accounts that got setup when I did a DiRT restore. Then I will do a new 3.1.6 install, DiRT restore, ExMerge import and reattempt a successful upgrade to 4.05 (just got the new 4.05 media). Want to hear how it comes out?

Cisco Employee

Yeah, I think maybe that TAC engineer was confused with another scenario since that's just simply not the case.

Sure - definitely let us know what you find. I've done a 3.1(5) to 4.0(5) upgrade just recently and it all went smooth as silk so I'm quite confident this works as it should...

Jeff,

Could you outline one of your many upgrades from 3.x to 4.x? We have a single Unity server on Server 2000 at 3.1(6) with on-box VM Exchange 5.5 SP4, AD 2000, and it is a DC/GC. We want to decomission that box and move the message store off box to an AD 2003 (DC/GC) with Exchange 2003 on that same single server. Also we need to migrate the Unity server to 4.1(1) in a failover operation on two Server running Server 2003 as the OS platform.

Your help would greatly be appreciated...

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content