Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Unity 4.0(2) and EX2003 Schema Change

Customer has UM ver. 4.0(2), off-box EX5.5. They want to add an EX2003 server to begin a gradual migration of their email users. I hear the schema changes for EX2003 will break Unity as is. Is this true? They have purchased a replacement server and the goal is to upgrade them to 4.0(5) on this server. My plan would be to install the new server (new name, IP) to ver. 4.0(2), DiRT import, upgrade to 4.0(5). They can then extend schema, install EX2003, then I run Mess. Store Cfg. Wizard to change message store.

Soliciting comments from anyone who has been there. Thanks!

Cisco Employee

Re: Unity 4.0(2) and EX2003 Schema Change

I'm not sure that any of the schema changes necessitated by Unity would break Unity per se. However, if there are multiple versions of Exchange with Unity subscribers' mailstores on them, then Unity must be partnered with the most recent version. In this case if there are Unity subscriber mailboxes on Exchange 5.5, Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003 all in the same AD domain, Unity should be partnered with the Exchange 2003 server.

The tested and supported method of what I think you are trying to accomplish is covered in this link:

I think your general plan should work, if after you perform the upgrade to Unity 4.0.5, you follow the link above to cover the Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 upgrade (as it relates to Unity's connecting to Exchange).

It wouldn't hurt to take another DiRT back up after the upgrade to 4.0.5.

I hope this helps.

CreatePlease to create content