Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.0.2 to Unity Connection 7 migration tool

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has a little more insight into if the Migration Export tool is supported with Unity 4.0.2. I have contradicting documents on Cisco's site and ciscounitytools.com website.

Thanks,

George

Please rate useful posts.
23 Replies 23

Hi Jeff,

Thanks a lot for your help on this. I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks,

George

Hi Jeff,

Is it possible to change the alternate contact fields prior to the migration? Please let me know.

Thanks,

George

No, you can change the alias and extensions for users but it doesn't let you go in and start messing around with more exotic data like the alternate contact numbers or one key rules and such. That'd be pretty complex to do cleanly...

Hi Jeff,

thanks a lot for the confirmation. Also, I was wondering if you will be able to do a debug import into cxn next week for me?

sure - just make the directory backup MDB file available via FTP somewhere and I can import it onto any version of Connection 7.x no problem.

Thanks a lot Jeff! I will email you the info.

Hi Jeff,

could you tell me the difference between "Unity 4.x to Unity Connection2.x migration export tool" and "Unity to Connection migration tool"?

I found the first tool's description in the document [Reconfiguration and Upgrade Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Release 7.x], but the link is unaccessable.

And I only find the "Unity to Connection migration tool" in the http://www.ciscounitytools.com/ all downloads.
Does it means that "Unity to Connection migration tools" will replace the old "unity4.x to Unity connection2.x migration export tool"?
If so, unity4.0(1)-unity4.0(4) must be upgraded to uinty4.0(5) or later before using migration tools like COBRAS or "Unity to Connection migration tool"?

your regards,
sai

Sai,

The best way to go here is to use the COBRAS migration tools, period.  The older CSV-based tool doesn't get as much data and will have limitations based on what can be pulled from older versions like 4.0(2) vs. a COBRAS-supported version like 4.0(5).  There are many changes in the DB and other interfaces between your version and 4.0(5).  So, COBRAS is the preferred migration tool.  So, in order to be as successful as possible and get as much data as possible migrated between systems you'll need to do a dual-upgrade by first upgrading your existing system to 4.0(5) and restoring via DiRT.  Once the system is online and healthy, you can use the COBRAS Export tools to grab all the data possible for migration.  On the CUC 7 system, you'll need to do some manual configurations before using the COBRAS Import tool.  Then once you are ready, import the data using the COBRAS Import tool for CUC 7x and, depending on your config, you may have a little manual work to do in clean-up after the fact.  All in all, I've used COBRAS a number of times now and it makes things much easier and less cumbersome for migrating between versions, platforms, etc.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Everything David said was spot on - just a bit of history to fill in here.

The CSV migration tool was what was released to handle migrations before COBRAS was "born".  Yes, it has more or less been retired since it doesn't provide any additional value and is considerably less robust (and QA hasn't tested it end to end in some time for that matter).  It was kept around since technically it _could_ support versions of Unity older than 4.0(5) - COBRAS can't go back earlier than that since the database views and procs it uses to do it's work were not fully fleshed out (or mostly fleshed out) till the 4.0(5) release.  However the CSV based tool was never updated to go back further and QA balked at testing versions older than 4.0(5) anyway so it was rendered moot.

I believe in the 8.5 version of the docs coming out later this year references to the CSV based tool will be dropped entirely.